stever
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 9:31 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 10:35 am 
Yes, indeed. Per the article: And the couple started a grueling training regimen. They would tie SUV tires together, and each would drag two around every day for hours on end. On their longest training day, they started hauling their tires near Rattlesnake Lake, and walked to the far side of the Snoqualmie Valley Tunnel. There's a great photo of them dragging those tires down the road. On Dec. 7, Friends of the North Bend Library is hosting [Chris] Fagan for their semi-annual Valley Reads program online. Free copies of her book, The Expedition, will be given to attendees who will have a chance to talk with Fagan. Great read. Talk about a power couple. Thanks for posting this, stever. ~z

asdf

asdf
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 10:56 am 
Amazing. It doesn't say how they trained for the cold. That would be interesting as well.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 2:41 pm 
I read her book this year or last year. It was really interesting! I don't remember them training for cold, beyond just getting proper gear.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 5:31 pm 
Regarding training for cold, here's my thought. From the newspaper article: "The couple were no strangers to extreme adventure. They met on a climb up Mt. Denali in Alaska, and shared a love for mountaineering and trail running. Eventually, they moved out to North Bend to be closer to the Cascades’ trails." I would say that having done Denali and hiked in the Cascades they were accustomed to snow and winter cold. Plus: "In January 2014, Chris Fagan stepped out of the plane she’d taken from Chile — and onto Antarctica." That's the key there. They did their trek in the Antarctic summer. Still severely cold temperatures in the interior, but not the extremes one would see in the winter. Short article on the seasonal temperatures here. Here's an interesting article about the folks down at the South Pole who winter over. Many are astronomers and physicists. ~z

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 6:02 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Here's an interesting article about the folks down at the South Pole who winter over. Many are astronomers and physicists. ~z
There’s also a good movie documentary about wintering in Antarctica, The Thing released in 1982.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 6:53 pm 
Thread drift alert. Careful...
Secret Agent Man wrote:
The Thing released in 1982
Read the second article. The staff actually watch three versions of The Thing during the winter over. It's one of their pastimes. They also watch The Shining. They don't mess around. wink.gif ~z

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm 
Secret Agent Man wrote:
zephyr wrote:
Here's an interesting article about the folks down at the South Pole who winter over. Many are astronomers and physicists. ~z
There’s also a good movie documentary about wintering in Antarctica, The Thing released in 1982.
Now, THAT was one well done sci-fy movie...for the time. I sat up late one night and watched it. Then, when it was over, it was time to turn out the lights and walk to the bedroom....in the dark! paranoid.gif lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 7:27 pm 
I'm conflicted over this type of dangerous extreme adventuring with people who have significant others and / or children. I still can't decide if it's selfish or not. A handful of sad mountaineering documentaries I've watched where husbands, wives & children are interviewed and their loved one is missing or left on the landscape where their body will never be retrieved or found. Fagans are a married couple with a 12 year old

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 8:00 pm 
And doubtless there have been countless other fathers who left wives and children at home when they went off seeking adventure, many of whom never returned home. The "selfish" part of it is a subjective value judgment made by others. Their immediate family members may well have thought otherwise. Tenzing Norgay left at least a couple children and a wife behind when he accompanied Edmund Hillary to the top of Everest in 1953. Would his wife and children have thought that a selfish act? Or did they bask in the glory of his achievement? George Mallory left behind his wife Ruth and two daughters when he and Irvine disappeared. Was that "selfish" of him? Or was his wife perhaps fully supportive of his ambitions?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 9:50 pm 
Ski wrote:
And doubtless there have been countless other fathers who left wives and children at home when they went off seeking adventure, many of whom never returned home. The "selfish" part of it is a subjective value judgment made by others. Their immediate family members may well have thought otherwise. Tenzing Norgay left at least a couple children and a wife behind when he accompanied Edmund Hillary to the top of Everest in 1953. Would his wife and children have thought that a selfish act? Or did they bask in the glory of his achievement? George Mallory left behind his wife Ruth and two daughters when he and Irvine disappeared. Was that "selfish" of him? Or was his wife perhaps fully supportive of his ambitions?
Great response. I feel that the wives & children might say something positive & supportive in public to honor their husband's lives and bravery, but in private, may feel the opposite ...or not

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostSat Nov 28, 2020 11:34 am 
Here is a podcast interview with one of the team members. podcast interview

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Nov 28, 2020 4:53 pm 
Knowing a family that has both undertaken extraordinary adventures and paid high price you find different members have different opinions.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
dixon

dixon
PostSat Nov 28, 2020 6:31 pm 
It's amazing what any individual can achieve given the time, wealth and resources