Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > American fat culture: where life imitates art
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 10:55 pm 
ack! went to Google and typed in "500 gms to tablespoons" and somehow came up with that number. maybe I need to go clean my glasses. lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 5:38 am 
500 g sugar = 40 tbsp = 1935 kcal = 12.8 cans of Coke I often use the term "sugar" loosely to include things like simple carbs, in which case 500 g for someone nearly 7' tall who exercises like crazy is entirely believable. I don't know enough to comment on the potential effect on insulin sensitivity, gut microbiome, etc. At any rate, after a long hike, I'm sure we've all told ourselves "I've earned this ice cream", which, while not strictly true, is probably fine.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 9:38 am 
neek wrote:
At any rate, after a long hike, I'm sure we've all told ourselves "I've earned this ice cream"
Long?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 11:06 am 
neek wrote:
500 g sugar = 40 tbsp = 1935 kcal = 12.8 cans of Coke I often use the term "sugar" loosely to include things like simple carbs, in which case 500 g for someone nearly 7' tall who exercises like crazy is entirely believable. I don't know enough to comment on the potential effect on insulin sensitivity, gut microbiome, etc. At any rate, after a long hike, I'm sure we've all told ourselves "I've earned this ice cream", which, while not strictly true, is probably fine.
Probably not much. Body fat seems to drive insulin resistance much more than any particular thing you eat. In the long run, if you get fat by eating a pound of sugar every day you're going to be making Diabeetus commercials with Wilford Brimley, but it won't be the sugar itself. Luckily, exercise increases sensitivity to insulin. So if you're earning that iced cream, you're ahead of the game. This is probably why the guys in bike racing do ok eating nothing but sugar gu 16 hours a day, T2D isn't considered a risk of the job.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 am 
There are a lot of reasons America is so fat and the rest of the world is catching up. People don't need to burn many calories today as part of daily life. Kids don't bike to school; parents don't walk across the office several times a day to get a file, they pull it up on a database. Screens are replacing the outdoors for entertainment. You don't even have to walk to your car and back to get take out thanks to Uber Eats. It all adds up to hundreds fewer calories everybody is burning every day. Instead of eating less to compensate, we're eating more, because we're surrounded by cheap, hyperpalatable, calorie dense food, but also because we're (royal we) isolated, bored, and depressed. Hyperpalatable seems to mean just the right combination of fat, sugar, and salt. Weight is 100% down to calories in and out. It's just math. The fact that so many people don't know that is a big part of why people are overweight. The diet industry is billions a year, and it's not from selling "move more eat less." People think they have to not eat after 8 pm, or give up sugar and flavor their $13 Bulletproof Coffee with butter. It's fun to think you're in on some secret forgotten knowledge. There's nothing magic about sugar, it's just easy to eat too many calories of it. People can get and stay fat without sugar, and they can lose weight while eating plenty of it. The important things are to stay within your calorie budget and get enough nutrients. Sugar has no nutrients and can crowd other food out.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 1:07 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
There's nothing magic about sugar, it's just easy to eat too many calories of it.
Yes and no. One of the aspects of sugar is that it is digested very quickly, so eating 100 calories of "processed carbohydrates" will result in sensations of hunger in a much shorter time than eating 100 calories of peanuts, carrots or even apples.

asdf

asdf
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 3:07 pm 
Sugar is indeed uniquely bad for humans. Countless high quality studies have shown that a diet rich in sugar leads to a host of health problems in ways that a diet rich in proteins, fats or lower glycemic carbs do not. This is settled science. Enjoy it as a treat, not as a staple.

Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Dec 02, 2020 2:57 pm 
Sadly sugar is a choice. It gets regulated by parents until the kid is old enough to make their own mistakes.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 1:01 am 
Brucester wrote:
Sadly sugar is a choice. It gets regulated by parents until the kid is old enough to make their own mistakes.
Not all parents, unfortunately.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 6:22 pm 
Randito wrote:
Yes and no. One of the aspects of sugar is that it is digested very quickly, so eating 100 calories of "processed carbohydrates" will result in sensations of hunger in a much shorter time than eating 100 calories of peanuts, carrots or even apples.
Sure. That's true of butter too. Neither one is satiating. You can eat 100 calories of sugar in a spoon and be just as hungry afterwards. I personally couldn't eat 100 calories of butter with nothing else but it also fits on a spoon and won't make you feel even a little full. The peanuts etc have protein and fiber which both blunt hunger. Processed sugar has no nutritional value and packs a lot of calories, I'm not saying it's good and you should eat more. I'm saying sugar isn't done kind of poison which is the vogue thing to believe right now.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 6:27 pm 
asdf wrote:
Sugar is indeed uniquely bad for humans. Countless high quality studies have shown that a diet rich in sugar leads to a host of health problems in ways that a diet rich in proteins, fats or lower glycemic carbs do not. This is settled science. Enjoy it as a treat, not as a staple.
For sure a diet lacking in variety is less healthy than a rich and varied one. Again that's not about sugar though, it's about we need a lot of different nutrients and deficiencies in some of them lead to poor health outcomes. Please don't think eating bacon as a staple is healthy as long as you don't eat sugar!