Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "From Jesus to Christ" The First Christians, PBS Frontline 2 parts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSun Nov 29, 2020 7:00 pm 
I am not particularly religious but I just happened to catch Frontline Part 2 on PBS KCTS 9. It is a fascinating historical look at how the religion of Christianity began and how it eventually became integrated into Roman Society. This is really good. It looks like you can find this online as it originally aired in 1998. Each part is about 1:50.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:00 am 
I've seen at least one episode of this in the past, gb. It was interesting - putting the "movement" into a detailed, purely historical context.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
gb

gb
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 7:38 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
I've seen at least one episode of this in the past, gb. It was interesting - putting the "movement" into a detailed, purely historical context.
Exactly, Ann. I watched Frontline Part 1 last night. Part 1 was really rather boring as Jesus was not well known, and the religion a minor thing; hence there was not much historical context; just quotes from various Gospels and religious writings. But, as the series advances through the early centuries and becomes established, the historical context is quite good as there are many writings from the various elements of society that document this history of a new religion. You get a much better view. I suppose the same would be true of Buddhism or other religions/philosophies. Not much info early but far better documentation with time.