Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Colder fingers and toes with age?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostFri Dec 04, 2020 7:56 pm 
I'm in my early 40's and noticed this year my fingers and toes are getting really cold. Even around the house (therm @ 66) they get chilly and it can be hard to warm them. Wondering if this is a consequence of aging, I'm in good cardiovascular and overall health according to the doc.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostFri Dec 04, 2020 8:36 pm 
Same situation here. I might have Raynaud's as well; when triggered (following exercise on a cold day) fingers turn white and get numb. Finally broke down and bought some heated gloves a few weeks ago, which seem to help a bit. Testing a hypothesis this winter that if I keep my hands warm while my core gets cold, it will train my system to not panic and cut off circulation to the hands. Probably not; we'll see. This all came on suddenly at forty-something and gets worse every year. Might try electric socks at some point as well, or at least get better insulated boots. Getting old sucks, and this is the least of my problems.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Dec 04, 2020 10:08 pm 
I'm about to be 43, all of me is less ok with the cold than I used to be, but it isn't especially my hands or feet. It's basically all of me tolerates less cold by about the same amount. I don't know what that means, but there's one more data point for you. Feathered Friends makes down booties. I've had them for years, love them for backpacking. You can't hike in them but if it's hard to keep your feet comfortable at home they're wonderful for that. I want to get a second pair to keep in the car always so when I get back cold and wet I can really warm up. I already keep a dry, clean change of clothes and an old pair of shoes under the seat. You don't have to have diabetes to use their socks. They get really warm ones.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 05, 2020 8:16 am 
I haven't noticed a difference, and I have reached Medicare age. I go out the door once every winter and stand barefoot in the snow. I don't know why. Embracing the cold? I cannot wear warm slippers in the house. My feet get too hot. I wear sandals or go barefoot. Gloves have to come off after a bit when I'm out on walks. It doesn't matter how cold it is. My hands will sweat in the gloves/mittens. They will stay warm while I am moving, if the wind isn't blowing. My friends are having the cold feet and hands problems. I am not. Yet.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Dec 05, 2020 9:03 am 
asdf, Lots of good information in this thread, including a full description of "Murray's Method" for reducing the severity: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8023472

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir