Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Military flights biggest cause of noise pollution on Olympic Peninsula 12/08/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 1:05 am 
Tacoma News Tribune: https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/state/washington/article247679515.html Science Daily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/12/201207102109.htm Thinking Port: https://www.thinkingport.com/2020/12/08/news-118873/ Many of you have seen my complaints about aircraft noise from Whidbey Island NAS over the Queets and the beaches at Kalaloch for years. The U.S. Navy is lying to the public about the amount of noise and its impact. The use of airspace over a National Park is totally and completely and inexcusably inappropriate.
Kalaloch Beach 3 082019 01
Kalaloch Beach 3 082019 01

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:40 am 
there was a blurb on the news about how the Orcas and salmon in puget sound are being adversely affected by the noise of the jets. They said it is disrupting orca feeding and injuring them as the sound of the jets is loud down to 100 foot depths.... frown.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:24 am 
The Navy doesn't give a damn about the whales - they've been killing them for years with their underwater submarine "war games".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
trestle

trestle
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:42 am 
Let's not forget their desire to conduct night-time raids on our public beaches and parks in the guise of "training" for the SEALs and similar groups. Wondering when they're going to let the rest of us use their land.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
NikonHiker

NikonHiker
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:55 am 
trestle wrote:
Let's not forget their desire to conduct night-time raids on our public beaches and parks in the guise of "training" for the SEALs and similar groups. Wondering when they're going to let the rest of us use their land.
Are you implying that it wasn't actually for training?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 10:13 am 
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/navy-growler-jet-noise-loud-enough-to-reach-orca-pods-even-100-feet-underwater-new-research-shows/

gmphiker

gmphiker
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 12:31 pm 
I've always wondered why the Navy can't just take their war games out over the Pacific 10-20 miles? It's not like they're down on the deck buzzing the river canyons of the Olympics. This seems like a no-brainer.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 4:54 pm 
Op-ed today in Seattle Times, Serene Olympic National Park is no place for noisy Navy Growlers. Rob Smith is the Northwest regional director for the National Parks Conservation Association. He lives on Bainbridge Island.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jan 09, 2021 9:34 pm 
https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/navy-should-use-our-data-on-growler-noise-not-dismiss-it/ related articles cited in above article: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/navy-growler-jet-noise-loud-enough-to-reach-orca-pods-even-100-feet-underwater-new-research-shows/ https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/navy-captain-growlers-do-not-pose-significant-noise-threat-to-southern-resident-orcas/ https://bioone.org/journals/northwest-science/volume-94/issue-2/046.094.0208/Military-Flights-Threaten-the-Wilderness-Soundscapes-of-the-Olympic-Peninsula/10.3955/046.094.0208.short as can always be expected, the comments below the article are just more of the same noise from the same players who willingly choose ignorance over fact, and ideologies over science.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 10, 2021 7:39 am 
I don't want any more of them over my house, either. I realize they train over our area because it is sparsely populated, and has little political clout, but some days it sounds like they are actually hovering above town. The roar just hangs over our heads. I think it is because of the penis incident and we must be punished.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Jan 10, 2021 9:26 am 
Ski wrote:
they've been killing them for years
A little too much hyperbole there, Mr. Ski. I am not going to champion the Navy here, but marine mammal surveys are conducted immediately prior to sonar ops, and if there are marine mammals nearby, the op is postponed. This costs the Navy millions each year, all set up and unable to proceed. I won't be shedding any tears over the misfortunes of the Navy, but things have changed since whales began washing up with blood coming from their ears.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
trestle

trestle
PostSun Jan 10, 2021 10:37 pm 
NikonHiker wrote:
Nope, but thanks for projecting.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 1:19 am 
oh no I went for a walk in the woods and heard a loud noise. My life is ruined.

NikonHiker

NikonHiker
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 5:20 am 
trestle wrote:
NikonHiker wrote:
Nope, but thanks for projecting.
That was a genuine question meant to elicit clarification because I am not able to discern the motivations of your statement and I would have liked to. But now I'm curious what exactly I'm projecting.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 11:26 am 
They are projecting that you are projecting? 😌

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.