Forum Index > Trail Talk > Avalanche cycle(s) early to middle next week 12/10 to 1/9
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 4:53 pm 
Just back from the woods and stayed low-- it is positively scary out there. Didn't dig any trenches, but took one look at trails above Crystal (Bullion and Henskin) and decided to go hike Greenwater. Here's a video that was forwarded to me (not my video) of a slide up on Granite Mountain summer trail-- ABOVE the first avalanche chute. Music is a bit annoying but I can mute that. What I do note is that the person who recorded this really dodged a bullet, but not sure they know how close they came to buying the farm.
Stay safe out there! Yours, John

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dixon

dixon
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 9:40 pm 
This is scary to watch. I was briefly up at exit 47 early on Sunday, it was a madhouse with dozens of cars parking illegally along the chain off area and access roads. I chatted to a few folks who had minimal gear and said they were hiking Granite and I informed them of the dangers. Despite a large "Avalanche Warning" sign at the TH people still insist on doing it. Really disrespectful to the folks at nwac and SAR IMHO who are working tirelessly to save lives. It's not about lack of information as this stuff is all over social media. It doesn't matter how "pro" you think you are, nobody should be on the avy terrain of Granite in those well forecasted conditions. https://nwac.us/avalanche-forecast/#/snoqualmie-pass/93524 https://nwac.us/avalanche-forecast/#/snoqualmie-pass/93543

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 8:03 am 
awesome

gb

gb
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 11:43 am 
Still happening especially east slopes with shallower snowpack - interesting images https://nwac.us/avalanche-forecast/#/east-slopes-central Baker also released a 6-10' slab recently as well with explosives. There are likely many others higher elevations in the North Cascades (maybe also Stuart area); it is just people haven't been able to see them.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 5:30 pm 
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 7:26 pm 
That looks like the same video without the annoying music soundtrack... But still a great and sobering lesson....