Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sharpe Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Dec 11, 2020 3:27 pm 
I went to this lovely Skagit park yesterday to do trail work with WTA. We walked down the Porpoise Point trail ( first left) to the Madrone trail ( second left) and worked building rock walls to hold up the trail which slumps towards a seasonal creek. I had been there last year and was astonished to see how WTA fixed a great tilted steeply descending section with a beautiful tall ( more than six feet!) rock wall and graveled the trail. The work was fabulous. I worked most of the day with a 90 year old man who has the most work parties in WTA and has taught folks how to do trail work for years. I was blown away by his stamina and energy and expertise at seeing what needed to be done and then doing it well while teaching all the while Sharpe Park is a very worthy destination for a walk. It is just north of Deception Pass facing West out to the Sound. The trails and loops there are fun and not too hard and lead to great views of wild water and sky and trees of note. Sares Head is a great place which so easily could have been million dollar houses cut off to the rest of the world for private views. Try a hike here. Great swans in the area east of Anacortes on the way home. up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Dec 11, 2020 5:38 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
Sharpe Park is a very worthy destination for a walk. It is just north of Deception Pass facing West out to the Sound. The trails and loops there are fun and not too hard and lead to great views of wild water and sky and trees of note. Sares Head is a great place...
I agree. I've only been once, but it was pretty dramatic. Lots of Madrona trees to enjoy. The views are lofty and distant. You may get the occasional plane/jet from Whidbey NAS. ~z

nordique

nordique
PostTue Dec 15, 2020 3:30 pm 
This is a great park with nice easy trails--and, last May--I ran into a lot of calypso orchids in that park--adding to the great views of Puget Sound! My photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/albums/72157714169337496 Looking forward to revisiting this park next spring!

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 5:41 pm 
Yo, Lookout Bob, thank you for your hard work volunteering with WTA! Hope to meet you on a crew next year! up.gif up.gif It is astonishing how many trail days some guys have. I'm sure 2020 messed up their routines of four or five trail days per week. borank.gif