Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Lint Lake ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 4:43 pm 
I really thought that maybe I mistakenly made up the name this small lake between Tuscohachie Lake and Lower Tuscohatchie Lake. But sure enough Google Maps has it titled as Lint Lake! I knew I saw it somewhere!
Does anyone know the history of its name? I hiked passed it while climbing the West Ridge of Low Mountain from West Granite, a couple years ago. B

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 5:44 pm 
Not saying that it isn't a proper name for that lake, but don't necessarily trust the labels you see on Google Maps, it's being procedurally populated from images which are titled or tagged with whatever people add, and also from a variety of other geotagged sources across the internet. I've seen a lot of pet place names showing up that have no business showing on maps, to the point where a lot of places which do have proper or colloquial names are being incorrectly labeled.

Bryan Swan Pictures - http://www.bryanswanphotography.com Waterfalls - www.waterfallsnorthwest.com

mosey, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Jun 13, 2023 6:04 pm 
Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I thought if there was some history it would be interesting to know. Seems every point with one hundred feet of prominence get a name these days. Probably every small lake and tarn too.
It is a pretty little lake. Not much shore though.

oldwild

oldwild
PostThu Jun 22, 2023 10:41 am 
According to my 1965 Lakes of Washington book, they are just listed as "unnamed lakes" between upper and lower Tuscohatchie.

Now I Fly
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jun 22, 2023 10:58 am 
The 1973 edition of the Lakes book says the same thing. "Lint" lake is new to me.

Now I Fly
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 10:28 am 
Sore Feet is right on. Google Maps has a lot of goofy names. Trail Blazers have long been very utilitarian and called this Tusco Out-In Pot, Large. In his 1993 survey of the lake then WDFW biologist Bob Pfeifer called it Upper Tuscohatchie Pot. Actually, the name "Tusco Out-In Pot, Large" sounds like a Bob Pfeifer name and I suspect that is where that came from, too.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

Now I Fly