Forum Index > Trail Talk > Queets River Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eaglecadd

Eaglecadd
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 pm 
Has anyone gone up the Queets all the way to upper Queets basin, or over onto Skyline? I did Bailey Range this year, but only got one day in Upper Queets and I want MORE!!

Hike until you Drop!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrambler

Scrambler
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 7:14 pm 
I read a very good news article in the mid Nineties that described the descent of the Queets River from Queets Basin to the trail head. It was an excellent write-up describing the difficulties encountered. I think the story appeared in the local news for Grays Harbor although it could have been either Olympia or Bremerton. My Sister showed the story to me and I didn’t make a note of which newspaper the story appeared in. You might inquire and locate a copy of the report. As I recall, the descent was very serious and required climbing gear, and traversing and descending cliffs as well as dense brush. I can imagine that ascending the route to Queets Basin would be far more difficult if you were discovering how to get around all of the problems.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 7:31 pm 
Maybe 12 or so years ago one member here and my personal friend did go up the Queets into Queets Basin and then out via the Baily Range. He no longer posts here but his member name was GoBlueHiker. He now lives in Colorado. He is a glaciologist and yearly travels to Greenland for a month each spring doing field work out on the icesheet. Anyway, if you search the site his trip reports might be found, though the photo hosting site he used no longer exists. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 8:20 pm 
As near as I have been able to tell, GoBlueHiker removed all of his posts and reports concerning those trips years ago. That route has been travelled, although not without much difficulty.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 11:21 pm 
N Fk Quinault, Low Divide, past Chicago Camp, up the Snowfinger moderately early in season. Two days in, two days out. No epic approach stories. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostFri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 am 
I have traveled this route in reverse, from Queets Basin out to the road (with a long detour around Service Falls, of course). If you want any specifics send me a pm

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 am 
Ski wrote:
As near as I have been able to tell, GoBlueHiker removed all of his posts and reports concerning those trips years ago. That route has been travelled, although not without much difficulty.
I know GoBlue wanted to preserve the TRs of his adventures but he hosted a lot of the photos on Webshots, which went tits-up. I think he ended up losing most of those photos. He originally went up the Queets in an attempt to get to Service Falls. He could only safely get up the canyon so far and eventually had to climb out of the canyon to reach Service Falls on his third attempt. He then went all the way to Queets Basin and then the Bailey Range I believe. Epic trip. I would have to ask him to be sure of all the details. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RangerSciacca

RangerSciacca
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 1:54 am 
I bushwhacked from the queets river near alta creek up to the skyline a while back. Here's the TR: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8023956

Fullripbrian

Fullripbrian
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 5:48 am 
This page briefly mentions the 1992 article in the Daily World, the local Grays Harbor newspaper. https://www.canyoneeringnorthwest.com/QueetsCanyon/Queets_Canyon.php

Eaglecadd

Eaglecadd
PostMon Feb 15, 2021 10:26 am 
Sounds even more daunting than I imagined. Thank you for sharing.

Hike until you Drop!
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Feb 15, 2021 11:58 pm 
How do you draw the contour lines close enough together?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!