Forum Index > Trail Talk > Resorts advice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
inquest

inquest
PostTue Feb 08, 2022 9:29 pm 
I want to take a quick trip leaving from DC going anywhere on the East Coast fly or drive ( in a few weeks) I would like advice about ski resorts that have decent snow now, or will likely in 2 weeks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 08, 2022 10:03 pm 
From DC ? Good luck. When I was living in NYC, Vermont and New Hampshire was where I headed. For the most part "Right Coast" skiing is on manufactured snow. Except for Mad River Glen where the "all natural" skiing surface is a mixture of refrozen snow, water ice and rocks. Dedicated "Right Coast" skiers carry an edge tuner in their pocket to smooth off nicks and burrs that develop during the day.

jared_j

jared_j
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 6:22 am 
Can you go to Canada? If so, then Mont Tremblant near Montreal is probably the best option.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 9:45 am 
Are you on the right site for this? We are mostly west coast people.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 10:20 am 
I lived in Boston for several years so I'm familiar. Assuming travel to Canada is still iffy, fly to Burlington and go to Stowe Mountain Resort (45 minute cab ride). I think it gets the most snow except maybe Jay Peak, but Jay Peak is only easily accessible from Canada and hours from any U.S. airport. Smugglers Notch is also good, almost adjacent to Stowe Mtn Resort, but you need to drive all the way around to the other side of the mountain range to get there, so similar issue to Jay Peak. But yeah, wherever you go, be prepared for icy conditions compared to what you're used to if you're from the West Coast or Rockies. Edit: Smugglers Notch is actually only 55 minute drive from Burlington, so not too bad. It's not as big as Stowe Mtn, but by the same token it's quieter and still good. I've only driven there from Boston...

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 9:37 pm 
Randito wrote:
From DC ? Good luck. When I was living in NYC, Vermont and New Hampshire was where I headed. For the most part "Right Coast" skiing is on manufactured snow. Except for Mad River Glen where the "all natural" skiing surface is a mixture of refrozen snow, water ice and rocks. Dedicated "Right Coast" skiers carry an edge tuner in their pocket to smooth off nicks and burrs that develop during the day.
Moreover sounding like the WRONG coast to ME!!!!!!