Forum Index > Trail Talk > field guides
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Dec 20, 2020 4:46 pm 
I have three field guides from Timber Press and was so happy that I just bought my fourth. They have great pictures and are organized well. Do you have field guides you like better or have you tried these cool.gif https://www.timberpress.com/series/timber-press-field-guides

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 1:44 pm 
I like the Timber Press field guides too. I have the Butterflies, Mushrooms, Wildflowers and Birds guides covering the Pacific Northwest. I also have the original butterfly one before the Timber Press one was published and it’s autographed by Robert Michael Pyle.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 2:04 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
Do you have field guides you like better or have you tried these
I have Trees and Shrubs of the Pacific Northwest . It is an excellent book and is a good companion volume along with Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest from the same publisher. There is some overlap. For example heather is covered in both books, but the latter is little harder for botany amateurs like me to use in that its index lacks common names for some plants. My favorite field guide for Trees and Shrubs of Washington is by C.P. Lyons, a revision of my cherished, heavily worn copy of Trees, Shrubs, and Flowers to Know in Washington by Lyons, which I got it when I was ten, so it is now seen 63 years of use. Another Timber Press book I have is Wildlife of the Pacific Northwest but haven't used it much. I have not seen the geology book but should get a copy. Other geology field guides I have used, at least those that try to aid the user in identification of minerals and rocks that are not in a specified location, are difficult to use for a layperson.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 2:43 pm 
Cascade-Olympic Natural History: A Trailside Reference by Daniel Mathews It's got everything in it. Whatever you see out there, is in this book. I saw a curious critter swimming across Lake Ferguson last July. I got home, and looked it up. It's a water vole, page 326. Plants, animals, geology, and pictures. It's all in there.

Pyrites
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 4:11 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
by Daniel Mathews
I was going to plug that one as well, especially since Daniel is a contributing member of NWHikers. But then I noticed that the Timber Press book "Natural History of the Pacific Northwest Mountains" is actually the second edition of Daniel's field guide.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

rbuzby
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 4:37 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
rbuzby wrote:
by Daniel Mathews
I was going to plug that one as well, especially since Daniel is a contributing member of NWHikers. But then I noticed that the Timber Press book "Natural History of the Pacific Northwest Mountains" is actually the second edition of Daniel's field guide.
He's a NW Hiker too? Cool. I love that book, I think I am going to start reading it from cover to cover this winter. So far I have only read sections of it, as needed for research.

nordique

nordique
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 2:25 pm 
Great guidebooks and worth the money! I have five of them. A bit heavy to take with me on a hike but useful after hikes when it comes time to ID stuff I've taken photos of! I used the Natural History book to ID a red splotch on maple leaves:
Douglas maple leaf
Douglas maple leaf

CS
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Dec 31, 2020 1:13 am 
Pojar's is considered the Bible for PNW plants, but I find the illustrations wanting at times; I'm going to check out some of the other suggestions here.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 4:42 pm 
FYI....one of my friends in WTA has authored a great tree guide that's free from most e stores. Find Trees PNW and download. It's a good ap. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")

ChinookPass, Cyclopath, Anne Elk, CS