Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > 737 - Loss of door frame
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jan 06, 2024 7:40 pm 
I’m surprised I haven’t already heard about search for missing portion of aircraft. Would the door and frame showed up on radar, at least part of the way to ground.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Jan 06, 2024 8:29 pm 
I live under the takeoff path from PDX when there is an east wind, and nothing has landed in my yard or on my roof (fortunately, because it's new). Seriously, they know when the chunk of wall popped off, and they should know where the plane was at that time.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jan 06, 2024 11:22 pm 
I hate it when that happens. eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 07, 2024 8:16 am 
The panel is reported to be in Portland's Cedar Hills area. I think Boeing ought to be shut down for a bit and mentally retooled.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Jan 07, 2024 10:10 am 
The panel has been found!? https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/ntsb-press-briefing-alaska-air-1282-boeing-737-max-9-pdx-01062024/ Never believe headlines (that's why I added the ?); down in the text, it says "believed to be..." which has already been reported above. Good thing nobody seems to have been under it!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 07, 2024 7:08 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
The panel is reported to be in Portland's Cedar Hills area. I think Boeing ought to be shut down for a bit and mentally retooled.
There are for sure a few "tools" working there. I had a friend that worked for Boeing as a "Mechanic"....a very loosely used term imo. He told me once that he cut the hole for a cargo door latch too big and being afraid of getting into trouble, he filled it in with silicone. paranoid.gif I don't plan to fly anytime soon.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostSun Jan 07, 2024 7:10 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I had a friend that worked for Boeing as a "Mechanic"....a very loosely used term imo.
My dad did that for 33 years. He wouldn't fly on their planes, lol

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Jan 07, 2024 10:15 pm 
Cedar Hills residents have been out looking today. Two cell phones were found, and at 9 pm "officials" reported that a resident found the "plug door" in his back yard. https://www.kptv.com/2024/01/08/cedar-hills-neighbors-search-missing-door-plug-torn-alaska-airlines-flight/ It's not pleasant to think of debris dropping off airplanes onto my house!

Pyrites
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jan 08, 2024 12:05 am 
Cell phones fall three miles still work. Wasn’t the ad takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

Chief Joseph  Anne Elk
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 08, 2024 7:58 am 
Warning light came on during previous flights so they decided to keep the plane from flying over ocean. Next step would be to slap some tape over the warning light... biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Anne Elk
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jan 08, 2024 8:25 am 
grannyhiker wrote:
Cedar Hills residents have been out looking today. Two cell phones were found, and at 9 pm "officials" reported that a resident found the "plug door" in his back yard.
Thank you grannyhiker for providing the local perspective on this event--especially the local media links with video, etc. ~z

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Jan 08, 2024 9:45 am 
What got me was that at least one of the cell phones was still fully functional! I watched the NTSB press briefing last night so got the early word about the plug door being found. The NTSB head was very grateful to "Bob," the resident who found the door in his back yard, took pictures, and notified the NTSB "hot line."

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Jan 08, 2024 12:12 pm 
This plug design has been around forever and structurally is not much different than regular doors. It is good that they were able to find all the components to make it easier to analyze. Unless they started 3D printing or casting these door components to cut cost somebody screwed up big time. This is a very good opportunity to get to the root of the problem and resolve it without anybody getting hurt. I hope they do a good job and take advantage of it. The way that MCAS mess was allowed and "managed" was embarrassing.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 08, 2024 4:19 pm 
I read that they found loose bolts in some of the other plug doors of other max-9s. Perhaps we could take up a collection to buy Alaska and United some tubes of Loctite in the red tubes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 08, 2024 9:34 pm 
I am thinking that no one is going to want to be seated next to the emergency exit doors going forward? Maybe they will offer passengers a discount for those seats? So lucky the 15 year old boy that had his shirt ripped off was not sucked out of that door. Talk about thank your lucky stars!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.