Forum Index > Trail Talk > Tree falls on cyclist in ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 9:17 pm 
A man in his 60s was struck by a falling tree Tuesday as he rode his bicycle inside Olympic National Park. His injuries, described by a paramedic as traumatic, were severe enough that rescuers decided the best course of action was to call in a Life Flight helicopter rather than try to move him. If you have FB, there is more info here. The man was both very unlucky and very lucky. Unlucky in that the tree happened to fall on him as he rode by. Lucky in that it didn't kill him. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 4:19 pm 
The photo of the flattened bike is crazy. Hope he recovers fast and well.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 8:07 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
The photo of the flattened bike is crazy. Hope he recovers fast and well.
I have not been able to find any update on this. It sounds like he at the very least had a broken arm and leg. But like you seeing how that log is laying on his bike, it is hard to fathom how he escaped a fatal injury. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 8:40 pm 
It looks like the road cut probably saved him. There's a bit of a gap in the photo between the tree and the road. And, if the road was soft, that helps. The park folks should cut the tree up for firewood (it looks like a dead maple) and deliver it to the biker so he can get restitution and revenge.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Felpudo

Felpudo
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 1:07 am 
I was hiking at Snow Lake and witnessed a tree fall not far from me. It was much larger than the tree in this photo and happened just as fast as I figured out what was going on. If it had headed toward me I don't think I could have jumped out of the way at all. Kinda spooked me as it wasn't windy or wet soil or anything that I would image would make a tree fall over. I wish this biker a speedy recovery, and cheers to those that helped him out of there.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 1:17 am 
Makes one think that "It wasn't his time to go" is actually an accurate ascertain.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.