Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Crystal Mountain, Alterra, and USFS Leases
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 16, 2022 7:54 am 
thunderhead wrote:
East coast ski areas seem to have no problem returning a profit and they have to put up with much much worse ski weather than snoqualmie.
East coast ski areas have a very different weather pattern to deal with. Their issue is not lack of freezing temperatures, but lack of snow fall. They invest heavily in snow making machinery and are certain they can be operating during Xmas and New Years weeks. Snoqualmie issue isn't lack of precipitation, it lack of sub-freezing temperatures. Investing in snow making equipment at Snoqualmie doesn't help XMAS week if the temperature December 15th is 45 F. Chairlifts last decades. There are lifts in the state built in the 50's still in operation. Ski area operations themselves are marginally profitable, typically its the real estate development adjacent to the ski area that is the profit center. With most skiing in WA being "commuter" rather than "destination" it is somewhat remarkable we have ski areas at all.

thunderhead
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Mar 16, 2022 9:42 am 
In 2004, the Forest Service approved snowmaking at Crystal to cover 254 acres of terrain. Today, most of snowmaking at Crystal is at or near the base of 4,400 feet. So I think snowmaking would, in theory, work at other Western Washington ski areas. It gets below freezing in the mountains most nights even during warm spells. But this doesn't mean snowmaking makes financial sense at Washington ski areas. The Forest Service denied Crystal's request to build a snowmaking water storage lagoon in Avalanche Basin (directly below Silver King) stating Crystal lacked water rights for this request, not to mention the environmental damage from an artificial lagoon in an area that is mostly untouched. East Coast ski areas are generally not in National Forests and instead on private land. They also are in an area of the country that gets wet summers so water rights issues are not as big of a problem as in the West.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 16, 2022 9:52 am 
Crystal does use it's snow making capacity in the "Discovery Meadow" area right above the base. At 4,400 feet elevation this area is often right on the melt/freeze boundary. The Summit also owns some snow making equipment and in prior seasons has used it to make snow in the Central terrain park. However this year, I've observed that the snow making equipment is sitting unused at the base and not located in the terrain park to provide extra snow. Snoqualmie pass and Crystal have significantly different weather patterns as well. Crystal has more clear cold nights where snow making is possible than does Snoqualmie Pass.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Mar 16, 2022 10:09 am 
thunderhead wrote:
East coast ski areas seem to have no problem returning a profit and they have to put up with much much worse ski weather than snoqualmie.
East Coast areas make snow like crazy when it's cold. At the Summit, meanwhile... The four ski areas in the Summit at Snoqualmie family along the Interstate 90 corridor — Summit East, Summit Central, Summit West and Alpental — are most at risk during bad snow years because of their relatively low base elevations near the 3,000-foot level. But Summit at Snoqualmie holds no water rights, Lawrence said, which means the resort must buy water for snowmaking from the utility district, something that’s cost-prohibitive. Source: https://crosscut.com/2017/10/snowmaking-crystal-mountain-washington-state-ski-areas-snow-guns-cascades How do you know that east coast areas "have no problem returning a profit?" I've heard that summer activities are a bigger part of operations than winter at many of the NE areas. Check out the websites. Golf, ATV tours, water parks, mountain biking, mountain coasters, zip lines, adventure centers, toll roads..plus they are making money on hotels, real estate, concerts. More of their ski areas are on private land and don't have the restrictions that ours do.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Mar 16, 2022 6:40 pm 
kiliki wrote:
How do you know that east coast areas "have no problem returning a profit?"
Because they keep expanding and adding new detachables. Also i am not aware of any ski area there that has stopped being a ski area. I didnt know about the water rights at snoq though. Snowmaking is indeed a huge part of east coast ski area survival. They probably have more expensive electricity though back east. Dunno what the total cost of a unit of snow there verse here would be overall. But snoq also doesnt need any snowmaking yet.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Mar 16, 2022 6:48 pm 
Randito wrote:
East coast ski areas have a very different weather pattern to deal with. Their issue is not lack of freezing temperatures, but lack of snow fall. They invest heavily in snow making machinery and are certain they can be operating during Xmas and New Years weeks. Snoqualmie issue isn't lack of precipitation, it lack of sub-freezing temperatures. Investing in snow making equipment at Snoqualmie doesn't help XMAS week if the temperature December 15th is 45 F.
Agreed. But even with all that snowmaking, snoqualmie pass has way better snow now than any east coast ski area could dream of except maybe Jay Peak. So i think(and hope) that snoq has some time left. But ya, in a few decades, mean freezing level will rise above the pass and thats that frown.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 16, 2022 8:24 pm 
I still remember riding up the lift with the ski patrol at Pico Peak when I asked him about the conditions and he said, “Brown and shiny”. Went up White face once hiking and it required ice axe and frame crampons.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Mar 17, 2022 9:39 am 
Quote:
Because they keep expanding and adding new detachables. Also i am not aware of any ski area there that has stopped being a ski area.
East coast ski areas do close. Lost ski areas of New England: https://www.nelsap.org/ One of my friends is involved with the revival of Ascutney, which closed in 2010. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/01/travel/ascutney-cross-country.html The fact that a detachable is added to a ski area only means the owner--probably a big corporation--is investing in it hoping to increase profitability. It doesn't mean that the resort is already doing well on ski operations.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Mar 22, 2022 12:04 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Went up White face once hiking and it required ice axe and frame crampons.
Ahhh yes, whiteface, one of my favorite ice skating rinks biggrin.gif One of the two closest times i ever came to getting seriously hurt in the mountains came on a nice icy ski tumble on that hill. Fortunately, I missed the trees...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 05, 2022 10:03 pm 
Whistler Blackcomb passes are for sale you can get a 5 day unlimited edge card for $343 US and unlimited early season skiing. So it will probably be bye bye Crystal next year.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Apr 06, 2022 9:37 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
So it will probably be bye bye Crystal next year.
That is the only language the new owners will understand; they are going to keep biggering and jacking up prices until the bottom falls out...or, maybe, enough people complain to the USFS and their lease is threatened. I suspect that 30 years from now these giant, greedy companies are going to wonder where all the skiers are...after they'd made it so damn expensive to ski that an entire generation of the middle class couldn't afford to teach their kids. I hate seeing public land used to enrich stupid rich people and companies at the expense of free public use.

If not now, when?
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Apr 06, 2022 10:17 am 
It will be interesting to see if/when the manufactures invest in the conversation. There's limited business case in selling higher end expensive gear to the few.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Apr 07, 2022 3:28 pm 
Quote:
I suspect that 30 years from now these giant, greedy companies are going to wonder where all the skiers are...
Agreed but it's all about short term profits with corporations these days. The people making these policies are getting theirs--screw the people trying to make money in 30 years. Will there even BE skiing at Crystal in 30 years? The snow situation on the lower mountain will not be good IMO. The hotel development will be something they make money on year round, which is what they are thinking about. I just looked at the development plan for little Sasquatch Mt, not too far north of the border. It will be a huge ski resort development but skiing doesn't seem to be all that big a part of it. Conference centers (plural), golf courses, concert venues, all the summertime stuff you can think of (ATVing, mt biking...). This is the future of ski areas. https://sasquatchmountain.ca/development-plan/

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Apr 08, 2022 7:12 am 
The paid parking situation at Crystal is something I hope all winter recreationist are following closely at Crystal, and let the Forest Service know their opinion on the matter. I think there is a strong possibility that all ski areas in Washington (who lease land from the Forest Service) will replicate Crystal's paid parking policy. Historically, I can't think of any ski area in the US who operated 100% on leased Forest Service land (like Crystal) who has charged for parking. Crystal is amongst the first and not surprisingly, their private equity Alterra owned partner, Snowbasin, in Utah, has also started charging for parking (also operating on Forest Service land). Crystal has claimed their policy of charging $20-30 for non-season pass holders to park on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is to reduce overall traffic congestion. They also state that parking fees help fund the free buses. However, the free buses stopped running on April 3rd and yet paid parking for non-season pass holders remains until the end of the ski season (tbd, but likely into May). There is still free carpool parking for groups of 4+. So if a group of 1 to 3 wants to go snowshoeing, hiking, backcountry skiing, or buy a single lift ticket on the weekends, you can expect to pay. And the parking lots are no longer anywhere near capacity on the weekends this late in the season. So their entire reason for charging for parking late season is a farce. People point out that Crystal builds and maintains the parking lots, and not charging for parking allows for free loaders. But I don't think the purpose of leasing public land to ski areas is so ski areas can build parking lots and capture windfall profits from parking fees. If this is the case, why doesn't the Forest Service start leasing out places like Stuart/Colchuck lakes parking lot to Diamond Parking. Think of the money Diamond Parking could make and the reduced congestion! I fear Crystal has now normalized paying for parking to a private company for the public to recreate on the public's land. I also fear that the apathetic public just shrugs and says, whatever.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Apr 08, 2022 9:09 am 
Quote:
Historically, I can't think of any ski area in the US who operated 100% on leased Forest Service land (like Crystal) who has charged for parking.
Alta and Snowbird aren't 100% on USFS land? Though to me it doesn't matter if they have some small amount of non-public land if they are mostly on USFS land and operate under a special use permit. Alta charges $25 and reservations are required weekends and holidays. Snowbird shrank their free parking and sells a $799 parking pass. These expensive parking passes are becoming common. Jackson Hole has one that's over $1400. Most of their daily parking is $30/40. I think the only free parking is the transit center 7 miles away. I am a fan of parking reservations but not of paid parking. I'd be okay with $5 to pay for the cost of the reservation system.