Forum Index > Trail Talk > Woman dies after being hit by large wave, log in Pacific Beach 01/12/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 2:30 pm 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/woman-dies-after-being-hit-by-large-wave-log-in-pacific-beach/ar-BB1cGZxV?ocid=hplocalnews Stay off the beach during these mid-winter storms.
GOES west infrared satellite image 011221 2121 UTC (1328 PST)
GOES west infrared satellite image 011221 2121 UTC (1328 PST)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 3:34 pm 
Yup. My Oregon Coast aunt pretty much brainwashed us kids that we do not go on the beach in the winter and all the other times must have one eye on the ocean. It'll try to git ya.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 5:10 pm 
My Sister in Law was nearly killed when a beach log pulled her under when it rolled just like the scene in Sometimes a Great Notion. Luckily she was pulled out eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
wolffie

wolffie
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 10:46 pm 
I doesn't take much. Similar event: I was birdwatching on a flat sandy beach, near high water line on a placid day. The log was small-to-medium, 1' diameter or less. I hopped onto it to keep my feet dry as a small wave washed up -- just deep enough to float the log slightly. Suddenly I was flat on my face in the very shallow surf, 6" deep? With a log big enough to crush me floating right beside me. I've occasionally seen parents watching their kids play on the beach in mild weather very close to deadly logs, oblivious to the danger.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
babylero

babylero
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 9:25 am 
This was almost me last weekend at sandpoint. Rogue wave came in while I was standing on logs and suddenly the whole stack started to move.