Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Chetwoot Lake Fish Stocking 1946
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 5:37 pm 
That was a lot of fun watching the video. Trapper Nelson Packs, laying down and drinking right from the river and currin rainier boots with tricounis. Just guessing on the boots. Those were the days. Looked like they were having way too much fun. Thanks for posting Brian. Did you ever meet any of the people in the video? How many were WW 2 vets?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 7:19 am 
reststep wrote:
Did you ever meet any of the people in the video? How many were WW 2 vets?
I can't really pick anybody out in the video and we don't have a complete list of everyone who was on the trip, but I have met one person who as definitely on that trip: Con Mattson. Con joined the Trail Blazers in 1939 and participated in his last stocking trip in 1986 but he continued to participate in other club activities even after he could no longer carry fish. He died in 1998. The only other person who was a member in 1946 that I've met was Clare Carlson, Jr. Clare was a member from 1944-1952. He came to a meeting a few years ago and shared some great old stories. We don't have a complete list of all the TB members who fought in WWII. From the 1942 annual report: "The Trail Blazers are proud of three members now in the service of our country, with others to be in shortly. The members now in the service are Trail Blazers on the Inactive list, and while we are not attempting to take any credit for their individual patriotism, we are proud of the fact that they are serving their country, and glad that we were brothers with them on the trail and have shared a common packboard. They are: Gordon Robinson, Myron Christy, Bill Simon." From the 1943 annual report: "The Trail Blazers are very proud of all the members who are in the Military Service of our country and we all hope to have them back with us in all our activities as soon as possible. They are Myron Christy, Gordon Robinson: Art Hemstad Ed Hobart and Moe Johnson. There will be more. We all mourn the loss of Bill Simon, who met his death in the South Pacific area. The passing of this Trail Blazer, a true sportsman leaves a vacancy that will not be forgotten." The 1944 annual report lists new members and says: "From a dwindling membership due mainly to the war, the club has insured that we can continue our past activities. We are counting on the continued interest of these new members to keep up the ideals and stocking activities for which the club was founded. With the interest and cooperation displayed during the past year we know we can keep the club active until the time we welcome back our members now in the Armed Forces." 1945: "The first veteran to return to the Club was Art Hemstead and I am sure that the Club is looking forward to the return of all these men into active work with the Club." Of the above vets, the one we know for sure was on the trip was Art Hemstead. It is also worthy of note that in 1946 the Trail Blazers built a memorial shelter for Bill Simon at Nordrum Lake. I posted a video of the building of that cabin in this thread some years back.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 03, 2021 2:47 pm 
That movie was great. Thanks.