Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Amazon fulfillment FUBAR
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 pm 
Has anyone experienced unusual difficulty getting their order from Amazon recently? (Excluding the Xmas crush, maybe.) I ordered an item Jan 8th and paid extra for 2 day delivery. When I checked the tracking on the 10th, I saw it was "out for delivery", and by late day the message had changed to "your package has been lost". I phoned A's customer service and had my payment applied to a re-order. I followed package tracking from shipment thru its arrival at a facility in Everett as of the 12th. On the 13th the message changed to "sorry, your package is delayed." On the 14th it was "your package may be lost". WTF?? Twice in a row? I phoned customer service again early today and the apologetic CS lady put me on hold while she investigated, and later was somewhat cryptic in her explanation that it "wasn't necessarily lost, there have been some issues with the carrier." She said to call back if my item wasn't delivered by the 21st. I wouldn't mind so much except that this is the first time I ever needed an item I ordered thru Amazon "ASAP". Twice in a row, seems pretty bizarre. Maybe it's a "hot" item. frown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 11:54 pm 
Whenever I need something in a timely manner, Amazon is always late and unhelpful.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 12:38 am 
We had an order recently were we got a "package" delivered message that included a photo of the package, but it was in from of someone's else's door, not in our neighborhood. Amazon refunded. When I was living in a Greenlake apartment two years ago I had multiple packages delivered on Sundays that went AWOL, but packages delivered M-S were always fine. Amazon always refunded. Adjusted my order habits to never have something delivered on Sunday. I figured either the person delivering or receiving on Sunday was stealing.

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 1:00 am 
Amazon just tried to pull the "he clicked on that item several times, lets change the price" BS on me this week. Was looking into an item and went back and forth to it several times during the week. When I decide to do it, the price is missing and there is a tab saying there are multiple options. The "Richard Craniums" had marked it up 10-20%. Yet it was still the same price from the vendor but freight wasn't paid. Needless to say, I got it elsewhere. What a bunch of ani. bart.gif

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 5:41 am 
Yes. I've got a package with two items in one box from Amazon on the same schedule as yours. I ordered them on the 8th and 9th Jan and they were shipped together. Tracking tells me they are delayed and I'll be able to get a refund tomorrow if they don't show up today.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 8:15 am 
nope.. never had a delivery problem from Amazon...packages arrive on schedule or even before. very pleased with their service.

graffiti

graffiti
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 9:11 am 
I was getting the normal lateness from the Christmas holiday (10 day delivery instead of 2-3 days) but once that cleared up, things got better than ever. Before Christmas, everything was shipped UPS, USPS and occasionally FedEx. They have now started shipping items to my place via Amazon trucks (never seen one in town before) so many/most times I've been getting everything next day.

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 10:09 am 
I got exactly the same message for an item I expected on Monday. It arrived yesterday (Friday).

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 10:25 am 
Checking my order history, I've been getting stuff in 2-3 days except when I was told it would take longer.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 10:36 am 
Yes. One order took a couple of months to get. The last one was a day late. I now check to see if Walmart has things online before Amazon. I've had better service from the Walmarche site. Also, REI has just been excellent. It's like there is one of those pneumatic tube things and within a day, whoosh--my shoes arrive.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 10:56 am 
I ordered a $10 item the other day and got free one day shipping. This required Prime but I got that free also. I like the new deal where if you don’t need the item quickly they pay you let it come later. Negative cost shipping. Awesome. And of course the returns with no packaging or labels, just drop it off at numerous convenient locations.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 11:45 am 
OK, thanks for the feedback, everyone. Sound like they definitely have some bugs in their delivery system. Some of the other "features" of Amazon world I didn't know about are interesting ... "negative cost shipping" for Prime members ... price increases on items you click on multiple times before buying. I did comment to the CS lady when I re-ordered about what to do if two packages happen to eventually show up, she said "keep it".

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 1:12 pm 
catsp wrote:
I'm not sure a few anecdotes in the context of millions upon millions of orders establishes any particular "bugs in their delivery system."
Perhaps not, but I was going for regional experiences, not their whole operation. Twice in a row on my orders within days (fulfillment by Amazon, not 3rd party sellers), sure seems indicative of something being off. I wonder how their incident stats per 100K compare to the old standards - UPS, FedEx, etc.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 1:33 pm 
catsp wrote:
As for prices changing, I'm not sure I'd put that to some evil machination, as opposed to supply and demand and ever changing inventory.
"Evil" is a subjective description, it doesn't have any real meaning. Amazon's prices definitely change due to machinations, whether they're evil or brilliant ones depend on who's stock you own I guess. Amazon changes product prices 2.5 million times a day, meaning that an average product listed on Amazon changes prices every 10 minutes. That's fifty times more often than Walmart and Best Buy! The constant price changes have annoyed some consumers when they see the price of an item drop right after they buy it, but they've also helped Amazon boost profits by 25%. How do they do it? Amazon has, simply put, tons of data. They have 1.5 billion items listed for sale and 200 million users. Amazon has one billion gigabytes of data on their items and users. If you put all that data on 500-gigabyte hard drives and stacked them up, the pile of hard drives would be over eight times as tall as Mount Everest. Now that's some big data. With all this data, Amazon analyzes customers' shopping patterns, competitors' prices, profit margins, inventory, and a dizzying array of other factors every 10 minutes to choose new prices for its products. This way they can ensure their prices are always competitive and squeeze out ever more profit. https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-price-changes-2018-8

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 3:58 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Amazon changes product prices 2.5 million times a day ...
Sounds like the Wall St/NYSE computerized micro-second trading methods. No can beat ...