Forum Index > Trip Reports > Berdeen Lake Route notes (NCNP/Stephen Mather WA)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 10:49 am 
Notes from August 2010. Conditions: overcast, showers, rain The Berdeen Lake Route (BLR) ascends the ridge between Bacon Creek and the N Fork of Bacon Creek, then high across a series of cirques to the 5595' saddle E of Lake Berdeen. This post includes notes of the route from the end of FS Road 1060 to the N end of Lake Berdeen. One may continue a high country traverse by exiting over Bacon Peak/Mt. Watson or over the Hagan Mtn. massif and down the Blum Access. For info re these exits, see the very popular TR Intro to the North Cascades with Mike and Tom 9-8/14-07. The BLR starts in lowland terrain at the end of FS Road 1060. Beyond there, the old roadbed has been badly eroded and overtaken by the forest.
day1.1
day1.1
Travel across two side streams, then down to the bank of the E Fork Bacon Creek. Ford the E Creek, which may have high swift water in early season.
day1.2 crossing E fork bacon creek
day1.2 crossing E fork bacon creek
Gain the toe of the ridge via brush, ignoring misleading flagging. We found a few remnants of an old logging trail low on the ridge, but it has been all but overtaken by the forest. The route generally follows the top of the ridge in forest and cliffy timber, sometimes bypassing right or left of the ridge top via cliff band ramps.
day1.3 low on berdeen HR
day1.3 low on berdeen HR
day1.5 mark & shawn working up BHR
day1.5 mark & shawn working up BHR
Ying yang slugs:
day1.4 slug ying yang
day1.4 slug ying yang
Several steep spots and cliff bands, including a stretch between 2000' -- 2400' and shorter cliff steps, involve scrambling and minor exposure. At ca. 4200' the route ascends via scrambling up and through cliffy scrub cedar, topping out at ca. 4840'. Note Pt. 4940' on USGS 7.5' map.
day1.8 break at pt4940
day1.8 break at pt4940
There is a camping opportunity a bit SE of Pt. 4940 with a tiny pothole tarn (puddle?) which appears to retain water into late season. The area has evidence of bears (i.e., scat, tracks, rubbed trees). After topping out, the ridge travels N on or near the ridge crest on montane and subalpine ground to a moderately exposed notch (ca. 4980'), which requires a few scrambling moves to cross. We found a tight camping opportunity just S of the notch, but it water may not be available late season. At the notch goat may guard one's path.
day2.1
day2.1
From the notch ascend the ridge crest in rocky timber, traveling nearly over a hump (est. 5300'), then make a descending oblique traverse in open ground to the low angle passage on the spur ridge of Berdeen Peak. At the passage, cross to a slab (est. 4480'; possible camp?). From the slab, work below the small tarn (ca. 4380') below a glacial remnant.
day2.4
day2.4
day2.6
day2.6
day2.5
day2.5
From here, the travel is distinctly alpine to the 5595' saddle. We ascended a relatively solid moraine N of the glacial remnant and then traversed alpine slopes to the saddle.
day2.7
day2.7
day2.8
day2.8
Although Beckey reports camping opportunities at the saddle, we failed to note any inviting campsites and instead huddled in a krumholtz to wait out a squall.
day2.9 andy taking cover at 5995 saddle
day2.9 andy taking cover at 5995 saddle
day2.10 kevin above berdeen lake
day2.10 kevin above berdeen lake
From the saddle, work down SE towards Lake Berdeen, avoiding cliffs via ramps and breaks to a flattish spot at ca. 5160'.
day2.11 berdeen lake
day2.11 berdeen lake
From there, travel NW, find and cross a timbered rib, and generally work toward the N end of Lake Berdeen on talus and boulders, first via roughly contouring a couple hundred feet above the lake and then gradually traversing downward to the inlet. There are camping opportunities on the ridge (timber, heather) E of the inlet.
day2.12 soggy camp2
day2.12 soggy camp2
Lake Berdeen lies in a uniquely serene and spectacular setting. The price of admission is steep and arduous, but worth every step. In this TR, Tom put it this way:
Quote:
It is hard to describe the feeling of standing on the shores of Berdeen, other than to say it evoked emotions deep from within.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 10:59 am 
Thanks very much for this report, Steve. It'll come in handy if I ever make it there.

iron

iron
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 11:02 am 
up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 11:39 am 
Nice writeup. Actually, that quote of mine was from a different TR (the first trip with Ed). On the trip with SA someone had a campfire going when we arrived at Berdeen. That evoked some emotions too. mad.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 11:42 am 
So noted and edited

RichP

RichP
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 12:00 pm 
This is a trip that's definitely on my wish list for this year.

Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 1:34 pm 
Awesome. When I was there, I sat on the shores of the upper lake and watched a bear graze and meander. It was a special moment in a very special place. I especially love the waterfalls seen on the way there from Watson. Thanks for the report on your adventure!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 6:14 pm 
Beautiful TR! I've heard horror stories about how hot and dry that ridgeline is, but apparently you guys figured out how to avoid the baking in the midday sun. wink.gif Berdeen's beautiful color was in no way muted by the foggy conditions. In fact, I kinda like the ambiance it lends to the whole basin. Thanks again for posting, Steve! up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 8:39 pm 
That would be a great trip I'd hope to do this summer! Thank you for posting

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 8:43 am 
Jason Hummel wrote:
Thanks for the report on your adventure!
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Beautiful TR!
Thanks for the thanks, but this was not intended as a trip report. I wanted to post route notes on a portion of a longer trip. wink.gif Things got really adventurous the day after we arrived at camp at Berdeen, but for several reasons I've elected to not post about the remainder of the trip. Mike, there is no water on the ridge between Bacon Creek and the pothole micro-tarn SE of Pt. 4940. Thanks for mentioning that. For anyone attempting this route, bring lots of water! Note that most of the route below Pt. 4940 is forested and shady, but one could get parched scrambling up the numerous scrub cedar-choked cliff bands. We had cool damp weather and the routefinding went smoothly so we had water to spare when we topped out.

fffej50

fffej50
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 3:01 pm 
it really is a spectacular pristine place. when we did it it took us the better part of 2 and a half days from Bacon to Berdeen and Becky indicated that it could be done in 9 hours........we went out via Blum.......

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 6:04 pm 
Thanks Steve. Great story. Any chance someone had a GPS along the way?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DICE

DICE
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 8:25 pm 
Thanks for sharing!! Our group was there mid August the under blue skies. We came into Berdeen from Green Lake. I like the pics from the North/East side of the lake, we were on the opposite side. Wish we would have camped there, we ended up camping high on Hagan instead. The next time I am in this country, I will take the extra day(or 2) to camp and explore the area.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Feb 08, 2011 8:33 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Any chance someone had a GPS along the way?
Andy and I had GPS units, but they were of little use on the ridge where routefinding through and around cliffs was the issue, not navigation. The units did come in handy in the pea soup conditions en route to the saddle.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 08, 2011 6:40 pm 
Mostly I was hoping to see a mapped version of your route. Its fun to look at those.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln