Forum Index > Trail Talk > K2 finally climbed in winter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 8:37 pm 
The way the Nepalese finished this off is just awesome. They deserve it! Nims also did it without oxygen. Maybe when I grow up I can be as cool as he is 😅 First winter ascent of K2

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 8:44 pm 
What a fantastic achievement! I was secretly hoping that Ali Sadpara would have another first winter ascent of an 8000m peak (to go alongside his first on Nanga Parbat), because I met him at K2 basecamp in 2013 - there couldn’t be a nicer man - but I’m really impressed with the Nepali team. The best high altitude climbers in the world! Another report on the effort: https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2021/01/16/winter-k2-update-first-winter-k2-summit/

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 8:57 pm 
So awesome, thanks for sharing! Here is a link to the story on a non subscription needed site.. https://www.outsideonline.com/2420319/k2-first-winter-ascent My dream, (which will never come true) would be the oldest person to summit K2 and then stay at the top, could not think of a finer final resting place!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jan 20, 2021 1:54 am 
Great read. And this part was just to get to base camp ...
Quote:
Together they and a team of local Pakistani porters hauled 70 camp tents, six dining tents and 30 specially designed high-altitude tents on a spectacular weeklong 60-mile trek through the snow to base camp at roughly 17,000 feet. They also packed thousands of meters of rope, dozens of ice screws, rock pitons, supplemental oxygen and kerosene, 360 pounds of meat, and 400 pounds of chocolate, cookies and energy bars.