Forum Index > Trip Reports > red rock country nov - dec 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 9:15 pm 
After the Sierras I headed to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area outside of Vegas sun to wednesday morning of thanksgiving week. It was completely gorgeous, and a total zoo of holiday week climbers and tourists. I was able to avoid the crowds by hiking early - I started a half hour earlier every day I was there. I did some of the standard hikes on the scenic loop (Calico hills, turtlehead peak), as well as Kraft mountain loop and Brownstone canyon (as described by John Morrow, but I couldn’t find the rock art frown.gif ).
calico hills
calico hills
turtlehead peak
turtlehead peak
brownstone canyon
brownstone canyon
On my last day, I did a Calico tanks / Calico hills impromptu loop to avoid hiking out through the masses hiking in. (Calico tanks is the most popular hike at red rock canyon.) The tanks were dry and I walked through the largest one without even noticing it. From the viewpoint beyond the tanks, I picked up a faint path and followed it down and right to a large flat spot surrounded by Aztec sandstone. From there, I found my way into a narrow slot that appeared, according to my map, to lead up to a saddle where I could cross over to the west side of the Calico hills. There are several climbing routes around there so I was hoping that I could find my way to a climber’s path from the saddle, and then back to the calico hills trail. Luckily it worked! And turned out to be a nice little loop.
I spent one night in the BLM developed campground, which is totally overpriced, and 3 nights dispersed camping at Lovell Canyon on the other side of the NCA, which was infinitely better except for one night when a rodent(?) decided to take up residence in my engine compartment. There was a lot of banging on my dashboard and not a lot of sleeping that night. I hope to go back and explore that side of the park more sometime.
Following negative covid tests for us all, I spent thanksgiving weekend with two friends in Flagstaff, then headed to Sedona. I had only spent one day there last year but this time I found a screaming deal on an apartment at a golf resort and stayed for a week, and then came back for another few days after going to the Grand Canyon. The weather was perfect and there were tons of people on the trails, so starting early or late was key. I did a bunch of hikes that have been described previously on this site (Cockscomb butte, Munds wagon / Hangover / Cow pies loop, Capitol Butte, Cathedral rock) - thanks to Ragman & Rodman, Gimpilator, and others for the TRs! My favorite was the munds/ hangover/ cow pies loop. Super scenic, interesting and varied terrain, not crowded. As mentioned in Ragman’s report, the road to the cow pies TH is rough, and I chickened out of driving up it. But it is possible to make a longer (~9 mi) loop from the trailhead at the end of the road, and that’s what I did. I only wish I has started slightly earlier because I got to the cow pies trail in near-dark and it seemed lovely.
I did one other hike that hasn’t been reported on this site as far as I know, the twin buttes loop, with a side trip to twin buttes saddle. I followed the route described here, more or less. This was also a nice loop, but again, I started about 30 min too late and hit one of the most interesting parts of the trail at dusk. Also had to hop the gate at the Sedona chapel to get back to my car. I might try this one in reverse the next time I’m in Sedona. Prepare for over-saturated iphone photos:
On the weekend I did an overnight trip to the Secret Mountain Red Rock wilderness: a sterling pass / secret canyon lollipop loop, with a side trip to vultee arch. Some trail descriptions say there is permanent water in Secret Canyon, but I was skeptical. I carried 5L and hoped it would be enough. It was, even though I made a couple dumb navigation errors and hiked a few extra miles. From Sterling pass trailhead on Oak creek canyon road (AZ 89A), the trail immediately climbs 1000’ to Sterling pass, and then drops down into sterling canyon on the other side and ends at the vultee arch TH, which is also reachable by dry creek road, a very rough 4x4 road. From vultee arch TH, I headed north on the dry creek trail, missed a turn and went a mile too far, backtracked and turned onto the bear sign trail, hiked up bear sign canyon a mile past where the next turn was shown on the USFS map, backtracked a mile, couldn’t find the turnoff, hiked back up to where I had turned around, went literally 10 yards further… and saw the signed intersection. As I climbed up the David Miller trail, I composed a letter to the Red Rock Canyon Ranger District in my head regarding the accuracy of their 2016 map.
I almost forgave them when I crested the ridge and saw the view. But I was running short on daylight by this time so didn’t linger. The DM trail continues down from the ridge to meet up with the Secret Canyon trail. I turned right and hiked about 45 minutes up the canyon to a nice campsite with a huge fire ring. Passed several other nice sites with huge fire rings too. I couldn’t imagine having enough water to put out a fire that big in that place, but it would have been nice - it got cold quickly after sunset!
In the morning I continued hiking up the canyon in search of the permanent pools I had read about, but the only pools I found were dry. I did find the nicest campsite with the best views, about a half hour past mine. And the canyon was pretty, with remnants of fall color still hanging around and red rock towering above. I think it would be even more lovely in the spring or early fall. But this area must be below the Sedona helicopter tour circuit, because they were flying over consistently from about 9am on.
I hiked back to camp, packed up, and headed back down the secret canyon trail. The trail ends at dry creek road, about a mile from the vultee arch trailhead. I walked up the road, then back up the vultee arch trail into Sterling Canyon. Before starting the climb back up to the pass, I took the short side trail to see Vultee arch. Near the arch there’s a great view of the canyon too. I took some photos and then hoofed it up and over the pass, and made a beeline to Sedona Beer Co for dinner on the patio. Highly recommend the fowl language fried chicken sandwich!
And also this dessert biggrin.gif
Next stop big ditch!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 11:15 pm 
Nuthin like seein that VEGAS strip risin bove those clouds. TRUE glory!! Always so hard to be in vicinities of VEGAS strip and not go down gamblin

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 7:53 am 
rubywrangler wrote:
the nicest campsite with the best views, about a half hour past mine.
Isn't that the way it goes sometimes? Excellent trip report of a geologist's playground.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still