Forum Index > Trail Talk > New River Gorge, America's 63rd National Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 2:34 pm 
Located in southern West Virginia, New River Gorge National Park, America's 63rd and newest National Park, is centered around one of the world's oldest rivers. https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/01/22/new-river-gorge-national-park/ Here are some shots of mine from two trips I've made to the region, when it had National River status:

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 9:48 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Located in southern West Virginia, New River Gorge National Park, America's 63rd and newest National Park
I had read about this new national park a few days ago. Years ago when I was hiking, rafting, and canoeing in the Appalachians, I had heard of this river. 'Never got to go. Thanks for bringing it to us. Nice to know that you'll be visiting and photographing this beautiful country. ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
New River Gorge National Park, America's 63rd and newest National Park, is centered around one of the world's oldest rivers.
If it's one of the oldest why is its name New? dizzy.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 6:10 am 
rotf.gif You know, that didn’t even occur to me. doh.gif By the way, the 7th photo in my initial post is of the New River Gorge Bridge, which is the longest steel span bridge in the Western Hemisphere, and America’s 3rd highest (876ft).

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Songs2

Songs2
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 7:31 am 
Ridin' on that New River train Ridin' on that New River train Same ol' train that brought me here Gonna take me back again. Expect certain accoutrements to follow, some by federal regulation. Chiefly, a lot more visitors. Campgrounds and RV parks to accommodate same (possibly outside park boundaries; depends on NPS rules). Information kiosks, entrance fees. More "Stay Off" and "Don't" signage. Gradual domestication and homogenization. I live an hour from Indiana Dunes National Park (61st NP, Feb 15, 2019) and certainly wish it had escaped that fate.

monorail

monorail
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 8:57 am 
I was traveling through there a few years ago, and discovered an interesting feature I had not been aware of: on the east side of the river south of the US-19 bridge, there is a network of impressive ladders installed in the cliffs, to provide climbing access. For the non-climber, the ladders provide a really interesting way to experience the cliffs. From the "Endless Wall" trail, look for a side trail marked "climbing access", which leads to the first ladder. From there you can climb down, make your way along the base of the cliffs, and you'll find more ladders farther along. I'm not really in favor of ladder installations of this kind, but as long as they're there, might as well take advantage! And it may be that the ladders were environmentally a better alternative to erosion-prone paths down steep slopes, which would have inevitably developed otherwise. Great photos, as always!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 11:09 am 
Songs2 wrote:
Expect certain accoutrements to follow, some by federal regulation. Chiefly, a lot more visitors.
I hear you, and am fully expecting that. This probably applies to me too: I only zipped through the area on my two trips there; my last trip was 6yrs ago. Now that it's a National Park, I know that I'm definitely going to make many more trips, starting this year. It's a really pretty area, and there's lots to see.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 4:34 pm 
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 7:34 pm 
Thanks! I was trying to find a good map showing the boundaries of the new park. Yours is great, and much appreciated! Based on the map, looks like my 3rd and 5th photos are just outside the park boundary.