Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hank Aaron Greatest hitter of the modern era passed away 86 years
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 9:20 am 
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/aaronha01.shtml Although I did not know it initially, Eddie Mathews who batted just in front of Aaron was a Second Cousin. I used to follow the Braves for quite a few years.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 10:24 am 
frown.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
iron

iron
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 12:24 pm 
gb wrote:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/aaronha01.shtml Although I did not know it initially, Eddie Mathews who batted just in front of Aaron was a Second Cousin. I used to follow the Braves for quite a few years.
my dad used to go to a lot of the milwaukee braves games. he has a few letters of handwritten correspondence with eddie matthews. the golden era for sure

trestle

trestle
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 3:52 pm 
A legend and a gentleman. Year after year, stretched into two decades, the man mashed homers. No tricks other than showing up.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 4:07 pm 
RIP Hammerin' Hank! I would say that he was the greatest home run hitter of the modern era, at least in the pre-steroid era. However, imo, Ted Williams was the greatest overall hitter of the modern era.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 9:21 pm 
And then came the roid heads. Too bad they couldn’t have a separate classification in the record books. But then again, Mark McGuire did say he didn’t take them and I know for sure Barry Bonds didn’t. 🤪

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 9:54 pm 
Hank was one of the greatest players of all time. A remarkable career of consistency and accomplishment under incredible social stress. Set many records that will never be broken. 25! All-Star games! Every era takes all the drugs they can get their hands on. Too much fame and money on the line. Post WWII era took amphetamines. Including Hank. Barry Bonds is greatest hitter and all around player ever.

gb

gb
PostSun Jan 24, 2021 6:23 am 
FiveNines wrote:
Hank was one of the greatest players of all time. A remarkable career of consistency and accomplishment under incredible social stress. Set many records that will never be broken. 25! All-Star games! Every era takes all the drugs they can get their hands on. Too much fame and money on the line. Post WWII era took amphetamines. Including Hank. Barry Bonds is greatest hitter and all around player ever.
Hank Aaron has the all-time major league record for total bases and RBI. The latter is remarkable because Eddie Mathews, who is also Hall of Fame and a was a prodigious home run hitter and RBI man, batted 3rd just in front of Aaron for a good 15 years or so.

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSun Jan 24, 2021 9:20 pm 
FiveNines wrote:
Barry Bonds is greatest hitter and all around player ever.
Or at least top 20 maybe hockeygrin.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 25, 2021 10:53 am 
Barry Bonds? Half his career is lie.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 pm 
My pick for the greatest hitter of all time is Ty Cobb, (non modern era) hated my most, and had serious mental problems. In modern times he would have been banned from baseball. Career average of .366 during the "dead ball era" he could hit for power but that wasn't the game back then. I lol at his quote during his hall of fame induction...the MC asks him what he thinks he would hit against today's pitching? Cobb responds "about .290"....the MC, incredulous say's, "But Mr. Cobb you have a career average of .366 and hit over .400 3 times, why only .290?". Cobb say's "Because I am 76 F---ing years old you idiot!".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Jan 25, 2021 1:06 pm 
FiveNines wrote:
Barry Bonds is greatest hitter and all around player ever.
I'd take Ken Griffey jr every time over Bonds. Glad I got to watch jr play for 10 years. His accomplishments got overshadowed the most by the 'roid cheaters...he should have stood out in glorious singularity during that era...but had to share the stage with Canseco, Sosa, McGuire, Bonds, Arod, Cano...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 25, 2021 6:16 pm 
One thing is for sure, if you had to chose among only 9 players, for my team, Hank would be on it. Modern Era players anyway.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostMon Jan 25, 2021 6:52 pm 
Barry led the NL in intentional walks 7 years in a row. From 1992 to 1998. Even pre mass build he was the most feared hitter in baseball as judged by the pitchers he competed against. During that 7 year stretch in the 90s he won 3 mvp awards. Finished 2nd once. 4th once and 5th twice. Grumpy Jr and Bonds both got a new stadium built for their teams. Bonds actually played in his stadium while Griffey turned his back on the taxpaying fans who paid for his house and left town. Griffey's career, after leaving the friendly confines of the Kingdome, was that of an overpaid JAG. Producing ~13 WAR on ~$95,000,000.00 salary for the Reds over 9 years. Griffey and Bonds have failed the same number of steroid tests.