Forum Index > Trip Reports > Silver Peak - Winter Attempt - 01.23.21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
babylero

babylero
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 10:45 am 
I attempted a winter summit of Silver Peak this past Saturday. It was my first time on snow shoes in a few years and my first time going "off trail" in one. I started around 7am at Lake Anette where there were already 6 cars parked. I had a few GPS tracks and TR here to go on. At the top of the switch backs I looked for an obvious route up, but basically just followed the path of least resistance.
The snow was firm, and at about 4000 feet I switched to crampons.
I switched back to snowshoes once I got to the ridge. The ridge had some nasty looking snow loading in the trees so I decided to go up in the bowl on the east side as far as I felt comfortable. I made it up to a viewpoint on the Ridge at 4900 before I called it and headed down via the roads on the east side and the PCT, passing numerous Skiers.
I would like to go back in the spring, when the ridge situation appears more stable or attempt the ridge from a different point on the trail (closer to the lake?), but it was a great challenging climb on one of the best weather day's we've had in a while.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 pm 
I tried something like that a long time ago. Couldn't ever get it to work. Thanks for the report. Keep getting after it and be safe.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message