Forum Index > Trail Talk > Seeking advice on Stehekin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DadFly

DadFly
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 9:37 am 
Hello, My wife and I are planning to go to Stehekin in August, spend two nights and then hike up and over Cascade pass in two or three days. Does anyone have any recommendations for best attractions, deals, side trips, food? Anything will help. We are very experienced backpackers so we are primarily looking for points of interest. Thanks!!

"May you live in interesting times"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 9:47 am 
Well I heard since the Void they were not welcoming people up there. That might have changed or it might have been short termed but I would check first

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 10:07 am 
There's only one restaurant. Stehekin isn't a cosmopolitan place. For entertainment you have walking, hiking, kayaking, and cycling but on heavy hybrid bikes. Think Mazama, but more isolated and without a car. I hiked from Cascade Pass to Stehekin and enjoyed it very much. Visit Horseshoe Basin while you're there. Camp in Pelton Basin of you can get a permit because it's lovely.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 10:38 am 
Answers will depend on where you are staying and if you have transportation, be it the shuttle bus, renting a bike, or hitching a ride. Are you looking at dayhikes or overnighters? Purple Pass/Boulder Butte is a nice hike with a great view out over the lake if you're staying near the landing. McGregor Mountain is further up the valley if you're camping at Tumwater - it has even better views and is more challenging. There's a nice loop dayhike near Rainbow Falls, another nice dayhike along the west side of the Stehekin River to Weaver Point, Agnes Gorge is really pretty. If you're going our over Cascade Pass, do not miss Horseshoe Basin. There's actually three places to eat (North Cascades Lodge at the landing, Pastry Company and Stehekin Valley Ranch).

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 6:56 pm 
Definitely stop at the bakery!!! hungry.gif pig.gif

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 9:22 am 
The bakery has a couple of cabins for rent that come with a car.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 10:15 am 
I was there in October, there are no issues with visiting during the "Void". Like some have said, it does depend on where you plan on staying your two days. If staying close to the landing, you have a 3 mile road corridor or so with lots to do via walking or bike ride. There are a few short loop hikes at the landing (Imus, McKellar Cabin Trail), you can meander up the Lakeshore or Purple Pass Trail or a bit further down the road are Rainbow Falls and the Buckner Orchard with all sorts of historical artifacts to explore. There are several picnic spots along the road. The landing has a convenience store and restaurant, a lovely organic garden sits up the road about 1.5 miles with fresh veggies and goat cheese, and the Stehekin Pastry Company has baked goods and breakfast/lunch meals. In August the place will be hopping, I recommend walking/biking rather than taking the shuttle as you are more likely to hit it opposite the crowds. The landing also hosts the NP visitor center and has a local arts & crafts shack. The dinner at the Stehekin Ranch is fun, everyone sits family style on long tables and they may play the guitar afterwards campfire style. Not sure what that looks like pandemic style... Rainbow Falls and the Rainbow Loop are past the bakery but still walkable from the landing. If visiting the Rainbow Loop, starting at the trailhead, keeping to creek instead of turning up the slope on the trail leads to old orchard irrigation and a secluded falls area. You don't have to do the entire Rainbow Loop to get some good views, just walking up a mile gives you an overlook of the Buckner Orchard. Here are some pictures from the loop: https://www.musthikemusteat.com/eastern-wa/rainbow-loop-with-rainbow-creek-trail-to-bench-creek/ If walking/biking up the road further, like to Harlequin, make sure to turn off and walk past the campground on the road towards the airport and NP maintenance. Tucked back in the forest are some cool remnants of old trucks and equipment squashed in a flood. If staying further upriver, Tumwater is a lovely campsite but also makes for a great view of the river. Agnes Gorge Trail is great, too. If you have time at High Bridge, where the shuttle drops off, cross the bridge over the Stehekin and up the road a bit you will see a sign for water on the right and a trail towards High Bridge Camp. Take this down to the river and there are some nice isolated viewing spots if the ones where the shuttle drops off are busy. Again, August will be busy and most people like to hang out at the landing, bakery, NP visitor center and Rainbow Falls. If you can visit those on the off times (avoiding when the ferry comes in or when a shuttle arrives or departs), you will see less people. Have fun!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 5:14 pm 
As I recall there was a mail order bride company located in stehekin called cherry blossom or something similar....Oh and isnt there a trail to early winters and north cascades highway?

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 6:51 pm 
Mail order bride business? Is this some well known euphemism that I’m not familiar with?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 11:45 pm 
Stuhekin is a good place. Stuhekin is good.

DadFly

DadFly
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 12:53 pm 
Thanks everybody!!! Great info

"May you live in interesting times"
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Feb 16, 2021 11:08 am 
Its not cheap but staying at the Stehekin Valley Ranch is well worth the expense. Meals included, amazing. Rent an e-bike head down to the dock for a cold beer on the patio. Check out the waterfall on the way back. Relax in a hammock. Its all good.

the1mitch

the1mitch
PostTue Feb 16, 2021 5:46 pm 
I might add check out the old school house and the big park building lobby. A good day hike that doesn't get much love is to pack a lunch and head down lake on the Lakeshore Trail with stops wherever you wish. The NP folks are very professional if you need help. (personal experience speaking) One more thing, be sure to give some love to any thru hikers you see in the area! Tobasco sauce is a love language all unto itself.

illegitimi non carborundum!
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 16, 2021 6:35 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
As I recall there was a mail order bride company located in stehekin called cherry blossom or something similar....Oh and isnt there a trail to early winters and north cascades highway?
I don't know about mail order brides but the Pacific Crest Trail runs from pretty close to Stehekin to the North Cascades Highway and beyond. There's a shower, post office, and minimally stocked store, and for $$ a restaurant, bakery, organic garden, and soft bed. It's a great place to be for anyone who loves being outdoors, and a good stop for thru hikers.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Feb 16, 2021 6:41 pm 
mail order bride company located in stehekin called cherry blossom or something similar.... Why aren’t there any mail order husband companies? I feel that’s a missed opportunity, in Stehekin or elsewhere. 🤪