Forum Index > Trip Reports > Boulder Creek, Cabin Ruins; 03.28.20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Feb 02, 2021 9:57 pm 
This was a short desert hike w/some fellow Canyoneers last spring, & the last little part of a loop described in Jerry Schad's Afoot & Afield book. It is located in the Jacumba Mtns. off of the Mountain Spring exit of I-8. On this visit I was shown a much easier way to drop down into the wash from the parking area than what I'd done before. dizzy.gif Those of us who did not have high clearance vehicles arrived early to get a head start walking over a crappy section of rd. This section is fairly brief & then gives way to the concrete swath of Old Hwy 80 (replaced by I-8 later on).
We all re-grouped @ the actual TH & then dropped down into an unnamed wash which led us to a tunnel under the interstate that we used to get to the south side.
Once on the other side, we turned southwesterly up Myer/Boulder Creek, passing "Bob Rock" & checking out some cabin ruins.
We continued on up the creek, which had a decent flow after some recent rains.
As soon as we hit a little palm grove, ppl decided they'd had enough & we stopped on some rocks for a snack. Nice blooming cacti in the area.
Giant barrel cactus:
Fat barrel
Fat barrel
Heading back:
Stats
Stats

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message