Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wounded hikers climbers and skiers that just wont quit.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tom roy

tom roy
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 9:31 pm 
I am curious to here of other stupid or crzay idiots like me that refuse to give up. I injured my right knee in 1976 in motorcycle crash then they just sliced out most of your cartilage this was before scopes. After several scopes I was told in my mid forties I needed a replacement. My knee became so unstable I quit steep climbing with crampons. Still messed around on easy rock but by fifty it was walk ups only coming down became so painfully slow I was giving up on eg hikes. Amazingly with a brace I was still down hill snow skng and tore my rotator cuff in 2011. Just days after that painful surgery I started having problems with my right leg and other issues. Long story short nero disease in my spine. Had to have major back surgery and spinal fusion. but I got my right leg back. So last year I had the knee finally replaced. I am in my mid fifties and that replacement was pure heaven I lived to hike and enjoy it again. For how long I dont know. I will take it as it comes. One of my biggest concerns is putting some one in danger saving me from myself.The doc says I would have to fall like anyone else. I do have balance issues and I can not ski any more. I am really not much interested in highly funded well supported feats of people who wright books about like the blind or no leg guy shuttled up Everest. Just wondered if any one has a story of refusing to stop pounding the soggy but for a few weeks beautiful trails in the Northwest. I know I dont have cancer but my nero disease is chronic and will get worse. Nothing I have ever done so far in the mountains compares to the amount of pain and work I put in rehab the last three years. I am not twenty five either.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 pm 
Good to hear you are still getting out and about! There are a fair amount of us on the site that have bounced back from major injuries and still manage to get out for more punishment . . . including some of the most active and intrepid posters.

mehitabel
archyologist

mehitabel
archyologist
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 6:08 am 
Broke my back in a ski accident, have been on the timid side since. A few years ago was having a lot of knee and foot pain that was decommissioning me. Took up weight lifting, got therapeutic massage (rolfing) started doing foot exercises, and now am back in the game at age 56. Hiked and scrambled 97,000 vertical feet this summer.

toujours gai toujours gai
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 7:10 am 
Had my right side vestibular (inner ear balance) system extracted during brain surgery on 1/15/2013, still getting out in the mountains on foot and on skis. Some stuff I can't do that was once routine, and my balance gets whacky now and then, but no complaints cuz it could be so much worse.

gb

gb
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 8:06 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Had my right side vestibular (inner ear balance) system extracted during brain surgery on 1/15/2013, still getting out in the mountains on foot and on skis. Some stuff I can't do that was once routine, and my balance gets whacky now and then, but no complaints cuz it could be so much worse.
Wow, Steve. I had no idea. I am glad they caught it in time and wish you all the best.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 8:42 am 

Back to top Reply to topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 9:14 am 
I'm not sure my experience is really too far outside the normal for someone who skis as much as I do... Torn right ACL in February '95. I was 28 at the time and recovery after hamstring graft surgery was fast, was back hiking that summer and on skis the next winter. Torn left ACL and torn labrum in left shoulder in Feb. '13. Actually, the shoulder had been torn up for awhile (initial injury from a fall on 7FJ in October '10 and aggravated by a second fall on slippery roots on Blanca Lake ) and was giving me lots of problems with dislocating so once the knee got torn up decided to have both fixed. Knee surgery (hamstring graft again) in April '13 and shoulder repaired in May '13. Much slower recovery this time around. No hiking in '13, no skiing winter '13-'14. Knee is still giving me problems but shoulder is great. Still, didn't stop me from hiking 3 out of 4 weekends this last summer from July - September with a week long boulder-hopping trek in the ALW in August and I'm committed to being back on skis this winter.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 am 
Maybe you oughta stop jumping cornices, Will. tongue.gif Better yet, get some fat fishscales and learn to love meadow skipping. biggrin.gif

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 9:57 am 
I suffered a Type 4 comminuted hip fracture in January 1993, I was 32. Caused by trying to stop an uncontrolled slide on hard snow, hit a solid bump with my leg extended and knee locked while trying to dig in with my toes and snapped the head right off the femur. Surgery and 3 "pins" later I was back on my feet. Doctor told me I would never be hiking or skiing again, he even told me not to pursue physical therapy for at least 3 months after surgery as it was a tenuous repair job that likely will become necrotic - he had such a negative bedside manner. I ignored that advice and sought PT right away, I was day hiking by June of that year and did a long loop backpack trip by August - with the aid of a cane. I've climbed a lot and hiked a lot in the years since that accident. I used a cane for a couple of years, now I don't even use trekking poles. I lost the cane while climbing Silverstar, put it down while doing what the bears do in the woods and walked away from it and didn't even notice until we were well on our way. I guess it was time to stop using it. When the weather gets crazy my hip gets stiff. Big low pressure systems seem to make it ache. But I can deal with a little pain - its just an electrical signal that gets translated by the brain to mean "ouch". Otherwise its really nothing. Its going to take more than physical injury to keep me out of the mountains.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
kite

kite
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 am 
Kind of like Steve, I have meniere's and had the right ear vestibular sniped in 98, still ski and hike (well sort of)

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 am 
Yo kite, didn't know a fellow NWHiker was in the one-side vestibular club.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 11:00 am 
Good grief, Coldrain, why did you let that doctor touch you? I interviewed several doctors for each of my surgeries and selected the ones that were on board with my priorities. Actually, the doc that did my knee the first time around was great and was an avid skier and climber. I would've gone to him the second time but by then he'd retired. Steve - technically, cornice jumping has never hurt me... moon.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 11:32 am 
1997 fractured ribs 1998 tore right ACL and repair 2002 broke both ankles 2009 tore left ACL 2011 fractured ribs again 2014 (june) tore right ACL again and repair... Can't stop me from my hobby. I guess if I couldn't walk anymore...I would pick up whitewater kayaking.

Art is an adventure.
gb

gb
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 am 
Stefan wrote:
1997 fractured ribs 1998 tore right ACL and repair 2002 broke both ankles 2009 tore left ACL 2011 fractured ribs again 2014 (june) tore right ACL again and repair... Can't stop me from my hobby. I guess if I couldn't walk anymore...I would pick up whitewater kayaking.
Do you keep your eyes open when you hike/climb? wink.gif

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 am 
Stefan wrote:
I guess if I couldn't walk anymore...I would pick up whitewater kayaking.
Well, then you’d be dealing with shoulder issues and exostosis of the ear canal. I’ve had surgery on both ears for exostosis, and am currently recouping from my 2nd rotator cuff surgery. That’s after 30 years of paddling, so I guess I can’t complain. Of course, these are (mostly) predated by ACL / MCL, meniscus (x2), and fibula surgery. Guess I don’t keep my eyes open either… Oh, and how the heck are you gonna paddle Tshletshy if you can't hike?!