Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 7:03 am 
Peak 3851 seen from Colorock Peak
Peak 3851 seen from Colorock Peak
Last March, when I did Colorock Peak in the northern Muddies, I noticed a rugged looking peak which was apparently not catalogued in the normal places. Maybe someone has climbed it before, but there's no record of that and no evidence on the summit either. Frances was intrigued when I told her about it a few days ago, so we went to try it out the next morning. Peak 3851 "Muddy Knife" We climbed the north side. There are some ledges and ramps, but the rock is a bit crumbly in places.
first light on Muddy Knife
first light on Muddy Knife
full light on Muddy Knife
full light on Muddy Knife
Muddy Knife
Muddy Knife
up this way
up this way
photo by Frances
photo by Frances
photo by Frances
photo by Frances
We ended on the south ridge, which is a narrow knife-edge with exhilarating exposure. Frances says I was acting funny on that bit. lol.gif She was first on top and I told her she should pick a name for the peak.
Frances on the summit
Frances on the summit
photo by Frances
photo by Frances
photo by Frances
photo by Frances
We descended to the prominence saddle to measure it. We took GPS readings with two devices. One indicated slightly less than 300 feet and the other says over, so non-conclusive. The various maps show about 300 feet.
view east
view east
view south
view south
descending
descending
Peak 4029 We descended a wash into Hidden Valley and traversed around the south side of Colorock Peak, to get to the unnamed sandstone peak. Our ascent here was not as difficult as might be expected for this kind of rock. It gave up the game easily, that is except for the summit boulder.
Welcome to Hidden Valley!
Welcome to Hidden Valley!
delicate arch
delicate arch
Trypophobia
Trypophobia
Can you spot Frances?
Can you spot Frances?
The boulder in question is overhanging all sides except one and looks like 4th or 5th class with death exposure. The flake holds appear less than trustworthy. My friend Tracy climbed it, but we both decided we didn't want to. Standing on the next highest rock puts your head about 3 feet higher than this boulder. Here we enact the seldom used head-is-higher rule.
Overhanging boulder visible with Peak 4436 behind
Overhanging boulder visible with Peak 4436 behind
Peak 4436 "Northwest Muddy Peak" We crossed a small basin to reach the south ridge of the unnamed limestone peak. This one is a long way from anything and perhaps a 2nd ascent.
To get back to the car on the Colorock Quarry road, I had planned for us to cross the length of Hidden Valley to it's drainage point, but I didn't know if that canyon would be blocked by dryfalls. Fortunately it wasn't.
good quality
good quality
Hidden Valley is a special place, with a wide range of sandstone formations and colors. We were fortunate to view petroglyphs and stone tools of the natives that no longer reside there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 11:02 am 
wearing Tshirts on March 1! You two make me jealous! I like the wavy rock picture.

Art is an adventure.
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 5:30 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
good quality
good quality
Yessss!!! Totally awesome shot, I love it! Nice job on muddy knife too. You're really getting around out there. It's amazing there are so many peaks to climb down there! Who knew?!

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 7:34 pm 
Hidden Valley is too cool. Been in there twice, would gladly return.

Off trail rambler
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 8:11 pm 
Really nice looking peaks Adam.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 8:15 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
Hidden Valley is too cool. Been in there twice, would gladly return.
Love the Muddys and HV! Adam, I am sure that Harlan has been up 3851'. I remember a TR but can't locate it now, after I enjoyed the view of it from camping/parking area. On the list to return to someday! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
RichP

RichP
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 8:15 am 
Awesome. I'll be hiking in Valley of Fire today. So much neat stuff around here. Just getting my feet wet.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 8:16 am 
RichP wrote:
Awesome. I'll be hiking in Valley of Fire today. So much neat stuff around here. Just getting my feet wet.
You'll get hooked! When you walk to Mouse's Tank, there are petroglyhs everywhere on the way in and on the opposite side of the main road from the parking area.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 05, 2021 7:03 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
When you walk to Mouse's Tank, there are petroglyphs everywhere on the way in and on the opposite side of the main road from the parking area.
I saw those during one of several tourist hikes I did. Pretty cool to speculate what some of those symbols mean.