Forum Index > Gear Talk > Mold in Sawyer Mini Water Filter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 5:54 pm 
Hello, I broke out my Sawyer Mini filter today and noticed it had a faint mold smell in the filtered water. I took a few sips and noticed a slightly moldy taste. The filter has been sitting unused for about two years and I thought I had put it away dry, but maybe not. I used the large syringe that came with it to back flush it several times, but the odor remains. My next task will be to mix some bleach with water and back flush it, but I also read that you can use boiled water that has cooled to about 140 degrees and flush it that. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 6:10 pm 
I cut open a Sawyer mini that I had used for a couple years that had the same smell. It was incredibly gross inside full of black mold. They are cheap so I would just toss it.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
salish

salish
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 6:13 pm 
Hi Mal, long time no see. Good point, maybe I'll just upgrade to the Squeeze. Thanks. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 6:44 pm 
I’m a former Sawyer user. I switched to the Katadyn BeFree filter, which filters way faster. You can directly see the filter media inside so no hidden nastiness. I’d also suggest just keeping a some chlorine dioxide foil tabs in your backpack. Backup water treatment for a fraction of an ounce.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
salish

salish
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 10:04 pm 
Thanks for the heads up, In Flight, I'll check that one out, too.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 9:33 am 
Guess I’ll open the unused one I have and toss the other. While I like the idea, not impressed with the ease of use. Been thinking the bulk and weight of my other MSR ceramic filter is worth it. Easy to clean and filters way faster. Plus, I don’t have to have a designated dirty water container.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 6:54 pm 
The Sawyer Mini can be had for less than $20. I have always been a little paranoid about them, replacing them if dropped, or if I think it might have frozen, or been put away wet. I’ve probably gone through 5 or 6 in 10-12-15 years (?).

salish

salish
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 10:58 pm 
Hey Sluggo, its hard to ignore that sub-$20 price tag on the mini, no matter how slow the flow rate is. I'm still debating on whether to upgrade to something different or stay with the mini.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 11:53 pm 
I second the recommendation for the BFree filter, the flow rate is amazing. I had a Sawyer Mini, and hydrating while losing a lot of fluids was a pain.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
salish

salish
PostMon Feb 15, 2021 2:12 pm 
Thanks.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Feb 17, 2021 7:28 am 
Slugman wrote:
The Sawyer Mini can be had for less than $20. I have always been a little paranoid about them, replacing them if dropped, or if I think it might have frozen, or been put away wet. I’ve probably gone through 5 or 6 in 10-12-15 years (?).
That’s what originally sold he mini for me. I warped the valve on my MSR Miniworks and the repair kit costs $20. I was intrigued by the idea of a complete filter for the same price and extra space in my pack to boot. Camped at Spike Camp a couple weekends ago and finally concluded that having to try to make the Sawyer Mini work takes more effort and time and usually means I’m buying bottled water at the store so I have something the Sawyer fits (really hate having to stop and unscrew it to vent the bottle). I purchased a 6L collapsible MSR water bag and I’m pretty sure the MSR Miniworks will fit the mouth if that is the case, the $20repair kit will be well worth the money so I can pump 6L of clean water with much less effort than what the Sawyer would take. BTW, the Mini will fit the small opening on the water bag, but there is no way in hell one can get enough squeeze to filter through it. And then you wind up with a contaminated really nice 6L water reservoir.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 3:01 pm 
After (a) reading the review here: https://sectionhiker.com/hydroblu-versa-flow-water-filter-review/; and (b) seeing the inexpensive gravity filter kit that comes with it for only $25 --https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKRRTHS I bought a Versa Flow filter and really like it so far. Noticeably better flow rates than the Sawyer filters plus a viewing window that lets you look inside for signs of mold or dirt accumulation.

80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 am 
What I do, this might help you out in the future, is when I get back from a backpacking trip, I drop a couple iodine purification tables in a container of water, let them mix in for ten or fifteen minutes, and then pump it through my water filter, and then take apart the filter and let it air dry, then reassemble it and put it in storage. I've been doing that for years, and even after cracking open a filter I haven't used for three or four years (I have more than one) it still smells and looks clean, so the technique seems to work. fyi the filters I do this with are the Katadyn Hiker filters.

brineal
Snarky Master

brineal
Snarky Master
PostFri May 07, 2021 2:51 pm 
Steripen fixes all of this.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri May 07, 2021 10:32 pm 
brineal wrote:
Steripen fixes all of this.
Many don’t want to depend on a battery powered device. The Steripen also requires a wide mouthed water bottle. I own a Steripen, MSR Pump, and have used both Sawyers. My son has the Grayel filter, which is nice but heavy and low volume. I have tried almost all the chemicals methods as well. I’m currently using the BeFree. No matter what method you use, carrying a backup of Chlorine Dioxide taps sealed in foil (“Portable Aqua” or “Micropure”) is cheap insurance. 10 tabs is a fraction of a ounce, and has a four year shelf life. With adequate wait time the chlorine dioxide is the only chemical that kills cysts.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau