Forum Index > Gear Talk > InsectShield (Your Own Clothing)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Moose

Moose
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 12:03 pm 
A fellow nwhiker pointed me in this direction on another thread in Trail Talk, and I'm deeply intrigued (have had a frightening bout with Lyme disease and am now terrified of ticks...to the point where I find myself reluctant to go outdoors at this time of year). https://www.insectshield.com/pages/insect-shield-your-clothes I've historically done the Sawyer spray method but that is only effective through a few washings, and I think it's difficult to get comprehensive coverage using the spray unless you're using way more than is recommended. Has anyone sent in their own clothes to InsectShield for treatment? If so, I'd love to hear about the experience. Good customer service? Quick? Did your clothes really shrink? TIA!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 2:05 pm 
I'm curious to hear more about this too. I haven't had promising results applying Sawyer myself. Quick note that Promethrin is toxic to cats. It's harmless to humans and dogs.

RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 5:12 pm 
I've bought permethrin concentrate (Amazon has it, among other sources). You can mix up a batch and soak your clothes if you don't think spraying will give you enough coverage

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 9:14 pm 
I spray my hiking clothing in permethrin, it’s supposedly good for a few washes before needing reapplication. I do it outdoors on a bench, and hit all sides. Ticks are primarily only an issue below the normal winter snow level -2500 feet. Higher elevation hikes in the our mountains is generally safer. They generally recommend lighter colored clothes so you can spot any ticks more easily. Obviously Long Pants and Long Sleeved shirt, maybe gators in the really bad areas.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Apr 25, 2021 1:40 pm 
I personally like to use the InsectShield service bvecause I don't have to worry about disposing of any remainder. I am of course assuming that the company is using proper procedures of use and disposal of the chemicals. Permethrin is not good to spill out on the ground, pour down the drain, etc. It is a pesticide, which is harmful to aquatic life. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."