Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 1:09 pm 
Joseph wrote:
There is also a pretty good FB page dedicated to the WT - lots of folks looking to get permits, asking questions, etc. and lots of veterans providing advice. Lots of photos and beta, too, as the hiking season nears.
Thanks for this tip....I joined the group with the hope that I can add value to potential WT hikers.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Mar 31, 2021 8:18 pm 
williswall wrote:
Thanks for this tip....I joined the group with the hope that I can add value to potential WT hikers.
I am sure that there are tons of people who could benefit from your experience gained from all your trips. One thing though, I think most are looking for a longer itinerary, rather than a quick, 3-4 day trip. One tool I found very useful is this: https://www.wonderlandguides.com/hikes/wonderland-trail/itinerary-planner

themountainwhispers

themountainwhispers
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 5:31 pm 
hi folks, here's up-to-date beta on walk-ups for the wonderland. this morning we arrived at white river ranger station at 5:30a, 2 hours before it opens at 7:30. we were first, but w/in 30 mins there were others. when the ranger first spoke to us half an hour before open, he was dubious we'd get a route, saying it's been getting harder and that yesterday (sunday) he had to turn people away. however, we got a route, a day longer than preferred and starting tomorrow rather than today, with a first night stay off the wonderland at snow lake, and including a wide spread in miles per day from >15 miles to <5 miles. but also it includes great spots like mystic and summerland, so we feel lucky. however, based on the "competition" with other ranger stations right away, it seems probable that if we hadn't been first in line we may well not have got a route. so -- still viable, but increasingly difficult. we're off early tomorrow, looking forward to it! if anyone has particular recommendations for cross country traverses or spur hikes, especially on the west side where our mileage per day is low, would love to hear!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 4:42 pm 
My girlfriend and I completed Wonderland clockwise over 10 days from 8/2 to 8/11 with a friend from Michigan. We had great conditions except for some smoke at the beginning and two days in the rain between Mowich Lake & Granite Creek which included Spray Park & the section around the terminal moraines for the Carbon & Winthrop Glaciers. The bugs at Devil's Dream were as bad as you might expect and my favorite campsites were Klapatche, Summerland, and White River. As if done by an act of god, the bridge crossing the South Mowich River was put in the night before we were set to cross it. Which was an extremely serendipitous surprise because when we arrived it was running VERY high and the sound of boulders tumbling down the river was thundering. Here are some pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWr5idK I want to go back. Adjusting to being in cell service & civilization again has been difficult. Here's our graduation photo:

Flickr | Strava

jaysway
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 8:38 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
My girlfriend and I completed Wonderland clockwise over 10 days from 8/2 to 8/11 with a friend from Michigan. We had great conditions except for some smoke at the beginning and two days in the rain between Mowich Lake & Granite Creek which included Spray Park & the section around the terminal moraines for the Carbon & Winthrop Glaciers. The bugs at Devil's Dream were as bad as you might expect and my favorite campsites were Klapatche, Summerland, and White River. As if done by an act of god, the bridge crossing the South Mowich River was put in the night before we were set to cross it. Which was an extremely serendipitous surprise because when we arrived it was running VERY high and the sound of boulders tumbling down the river was thundering. Here are some pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWr5idK I want to go back. Adjusting to being in cell service & civilization again has been difficult. Here's our graduation photo:
That's awesome! We did the WT last year CW Mowich to Mowich, 8 days. What was your itinerary? Also, the S. Mowich bridge was an issue leading up to our hike, but by the time we crossed it (Sept. 12), it had a decent log bridge and an easy way to cross the other sections of the river. Devil's Dream is notorious for being buggy. We camped there on our 2018 trip - very buggy. Incidentally, Summerland and Klapatche Park are premium camps, but just wondering why you listed White River as one of your favorites ? ( I like White river too, although never stayed there - just wondering why you liked it)

jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 9:11 am 
Great pictures TJ, looks like a fun trip smile.gif

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 2:22 pm 
Joseph wrote:
That's awesome! We did the WT last year CW Mowich to Mowich, 8 days. What was your itinerary?
Glad to join the alumni. smile.gif I had originally started writing a short response to you but like Tolkein said, This tale grew in the telling. So instead I posted a longer writeup in the Trip Reports board: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8034422
Joseph wrote:
why you listed White River as one of your favorites
Flushing toilets and running water wink.gif
iRememberToby wrote:
Great pictures TJ, looks like a fun trip
It was. The most fun I've had in years I might even say.