Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spider Gap questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
autox

autox
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:49 pm 
Hi All, New member, first post! I'm flying in to Seattle this weekend from SF, hitting the trail for the Spider Gap - Buck Pass loop on Monday. I've been calling the Wenatchee ranger station for 3 weeks and keep hearing they expect a field report any day now. Very frustrating. Could anybody answer any of the following?
  1. What is the distance of *just* the loop (including the dirt road), NOT INCLUDING any spur trails, such as Image Lake?
  2. What can I expect for overnight low temps?
  3. What is water availability like, particularly around Buck Pass?
  4. Any recent updates on the snow condition and downed trees on the trail (any sense of how much time the trees added)?
Pointing out when you were last there will be a big help in evaluating responses. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 3:32 pm 
I might be able to help you with planning for overnight low temps. I just got back from a five day trip on the west slopes of Glacier Peak and the overnight temps were lower than what was forecast by mountain forecast.com for Glacier Peak. You can check their website for next week’s forecast and then maybe subtract a few more degrees from what they predict if you don’t like being cold at night. This is important because the temps are predicted to drop mid-week and precipitation is forecast. The good news is that it will (hopefully) slow the biting insects down.

Cyclopath
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 3:33 pm 
autox wrote:
Could anybody answer any of the following?
  1. What is the distance of *just* the loop (including the dirt road), NOT INCLUDING any spur trails, such as Image Lake?
  2. What can I expect for overnight low temps?
  3. What is water availability like, particularly around Buck Pass?
  4. Any recent updates on the snow condition and downed trees on the trail (any sense of how much time the trees added)?
My log says about 32 miles plus the road walk, which is 3 miles/700 vf. But you should not do this loop without checking out High Pass, IMHO. Lyman Lake point forecast: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-120.90660&lat=48.18867 There's a nice spring at Buck Creek Pass. I haven't been since 2015, so can't help with trail particulars.

Worthington

Worthington
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 6:55 pm 
The crux is going to he getting your SEATAC rental car up the final few miles of road to the TH anyway.

jaysway, Cyclopath
autox

autox
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 8:21 pm 
Thanks for the prompt responses! I hadn't seen either of those weather sites before. Is this accurate for High Pass? https://wenatcheeoutdoors.org/2016/06/20/high-pass/

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:32 pm 
autox wrote:
Is this accurate for High Pass? https://wenatcheeoutdoors.org/2016/06/20/high-pass/
Yes, though it seems to be making a different overall loop, taking you through the Napeequa valley and over Little Giant pass. You can do that, but you'll finish 6 or 8 miles from where you start. And have to ford the river at the end, which is sometimes a challenge. If you stay with your original loop, High Pass is a relatively easy out-n-back from Buck Creek Pass (5-6 miles round trip). The only real challenge is the almost-permanent snowfield on the north side of the pass. If that's frozen and slick, you'd want an ice axe/traction/skills. When I went in 2015, the snowfield was completely melted, so it can vary. Even if you stop short of getting on the actual pass, the views leading to it are marvelous.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:49 pm 
I was there about a month ago. I didn't do the whole loop, just to Cloudy Pass. There was some snow between the wilderness boundary and Spider Meadow. I expect that's melted by now. There were some downed trees but not really any issue getting around/over them. Creeks were running high including a couple where wet feet were mandatory. I expect those have calmed down somewhat. Getting from Spider Meadow to Spider Gap included some snow travel in the forest and up high. I expect that has melted back considerably but there is probably still some snow travel involved. Getting down to Upper Lyman Lake was mellow angle snow. The trail from Upper Lyman to Lower Lyman was mostly snow covered. I bet that's pretty much melted out by now. Only minor snow patches from Lower Lyman to Cloudy Pass. They will be melted out now. That's as far as I got.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 5:57 am 
Cold front coming in Saturday night. Definitely driving temperatures down. Hopefully NOT kicking off thunder showers!

spicymeatball

spicymeatball
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 7:59 am 
Anyone have a strong opinion on whether to go clockwise or counterclockwise? Most of the trip reports show counterclockwise (starting towards Spider Meadow) but we were thinking it might be nice to start with the Buck Creek portion to get the downed trees etc out of the way and save the glacier for the end, with a nice cruise out the meadow for the last day. It also seems like the steeper slope of the glacier on the Lyman Lakes side would be easier to climb than descend. Thoughts / advice / preferences?

RichP

RichP
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 8:34 am 
One advantage of going clockwise is that if you only have one car and park at Buck Ck TH you don't have to make the walk up the road to get it after your hike. You still have to walk down to the other end, but after doing the loop that would be preferable. Of course you can also leave your pack at Buck Ck TH and park up top, then walk down. That way you'd have the car waiting for you when you finish. It's been a long time so I don't recall the distance between trailheads.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 8:44 am 
It is shorter if you cut the switchbacks. We parked at Trinity and hitched up to Phelps while we still smelled ok.🤪

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 8:53 am 
The loop should work either way. If you park at Trinity, you avoid the sketchiest part of the trip: driving the last three miles to Phelps Creek.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 9:24 am 
MangyMarmot wrote:
The loop should work either way. If you park at Trinity, you avoid the sketchiest part of the trip: driving the last three miles to Phelps Creek.
Yes, agree with this. The Phelps Creek road is a nightmare. Sometimes the Chiwawa Road is pretty bad too. Especially if you have a rental, park at Trinity and just hope someone can drive you back down from Phelps Creek. Going clockwise does mean that you need to be prepared for whatever snow conditions exist at Spider Gap. Because it is most of the way around, so you won't be able to turn around. But it is not that steep and the runout is not that bad -- if you slip, you'd probably just slide into a snow bowl. Bring poles. Search wta.org for trip reports. Much more reliable than the FS, which is understaffed and their field reports are always outdated. I would also stress that a side trip to High Pass is a must. Maybe more so than Image Lake. I would not bother with an ice ax, because if that steep snowfield is still blocking the pass itself, you don't miss much by stopping just short of it. You don't get that much more views/scenery by getting to the actual pass. The incredible Triad Lake bowl, the surround peaks that surround it, and Glacier Peak are the real show. For weather, check point forecasts on the National Weather Service. They are very good at projecting forecasts for the mountain terrain. Someone already linked to one. In August, you should be prepared for nights close to or sometimes below freezing. Some cooler and wetter weather may be coming in next week.

autox

autox
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 5:37 pm 
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostMon Aug 16, 2021 8:32 pm 
Just wondering ..there used to b a way trail from trinity parking to the Phelps creek th. It was a mile and I remember it being an easy slog up. Having dropped packs at the th and then parking the car down at trinity. Anyone know what happened to it. Just wondering.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams