Forum Index > Trail Talk > SR 165 to Mowich Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 4:51 pm 
As I mentioned up thread, the road inside MRNP is actually very good, so it's not the park keeping the road bad to prevent overuse. Unlike most trailheads in WA, the road does not pass through a national forest (federal land) on the way to the trailhead. So unlike other trailheads (like the Middle Fork) there is no federal money funding this road maintenance. And because WA is one of the few states without a state income tax, counties rely on sales and property tax for the majority of funding. Cities (as opposed to counties) receive a disproportional bulk of this funding because most people live in cities and most people buy things in cities. So looking at Pierce County, they just don't have a lot of money to keep roads like Mowich Lake properly maintained. The funding to repair Mowich Lake road (outside the park) comes from sales and property tax in unincorporated Pierce County. Unincorporated Pierce County is the poorest place in the entire Seattle metro region. Middle Fork got repaired when unincorporated King County became yuppy, and there was federal money involved. Once Eatonville resembles North Bend you may see the Mowich lake road in better shape.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Carbonj

Carbonj
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 4:56 pm 
As it is a state hwy SR 165 it should be maintained every season, sometimes in the spring they do a training regrading run with multiple graders. Seen that 2 or 3 times in the last 35 years I've worked and lived in the Carbon valley. Email , write and call state and county representatives! Its the only thing that makes things happen.

mb

mb
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 5:43 pm 
kiliki wrote:
They flagged me down and asked if that was the road to Tacoma. I told them no, it was a dead end in a national park
Well, it sort of is a dead end at Tacoma.

Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 6:59 pm 
altasnob wrote:
And because WA is one of the few states without a state income tax, counties rely on sales and property tax for the majority of funding. Cities (as opposed to counties) receive a disproportional bulk of this funding because most people live in cities and most people buy things in cities. So looking at Pierce County, they just don't have a lot of money to keep roads like Mowich Lake properly maintained. The funding to repair Mowich Lake road (outside the park) comes from sales and property tax in unincorporated Pierce County. Unincorporated Pierce County is the poorest place in the entire Seattle metro region. Middle Fork got repaired when unincorporated King County became yuppy, and there was federal money involved. Once Eatonville resembles North Bend you may see the Mowich lake road in better shape.
Where do you come up with this stuff? Almost none of it is true. WA165 is a state highway, hence, the "WA." Just like WA542 to Mount Baker, WA410 to Crystal Mountain and beyond. What's more, if turning Eatonville into North Bend is making your case for a state income tax (which, I suspect, is your real troll here), well, good luck with that. We'll pass on both, thank you.

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 pm 
Every time I hike up to Mount Catherine, I always stop to pick up bumpers and various other car parts left behind on my way out.

Vesper Peak
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 7:43 pm 
Yes, closer inspection of the map shows the dirt road to Mowich is a state highway, not an unincorporated Pierce County road. So the state, not the county, and not the feds, pays to maintain the road up to the MRNP boundary. It is still a unique situation where people are driving a dirt road to a trailhead and not passing through National Forest. I believe funding for paving the Middle Fork mostly came from the feds as the road is in a National Forest.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 7:57 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Mowich Lake is only 70 miles from downtown Seattle. Sunrise is 101 miles, Paradise 104 miles. If the road was improved, the place would get even more slammed than it already does
I don't think excluding other hikers is a valid reason to let a road fall into disrepair.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 8:24 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
altasnob wrote:
Mowich Lake is only 70 miles from downtown Seattle. Sunrise is 101 miles, Paradise 104 miles. If the road was improved, the place would get even more slammed than it already does
I don't think excluding other hikers is a valid reason to let a road fall into disrepair.
I suspect it's more a chicken and egg thing -- the state records the traffic volume on state highways and directs money in proportion to usage. So a crummy road gets less traffic and hence less funding for maintenance. But even if the WSDOT regrades\d HWY-165 every year -- they aren't doing it in the middle of winter -- they are going to wait until late spring/summer after the road dries out. Regrading now would be result in very quick reappearance of potholes during the wet season when the road is wet, soft and puddled anyway. The NPS typically opens the gate at the Paul Peak trailhead July 1st and closes it in October after the 1st significant snowfall. I think the road sees peak usage Mid-July through Labor Day -- so regrading the road just before the NPS opens the Paul Peak gate would be the way to provide the smoothest ride for the most visitors.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 9:45 pm 
Keep Mowich Lake road the way it is - potholes and all. Of all the main WT starting points, and supply cache locations, it is the most that gets ripped off (people get their crucial supplies stolen by the riff raff who drive right up to the TH). We do not need to make it easier for more people to access it and have it overrun by massive amounts of day hikers. In the spirit of ol' Harvey Manning: keep it rustic.

Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 10:42 pm 
A little history, the road was completed in 1938--but not opened beyond the Paul Peak gate to the general public until 1955. It was all tied up in the Paradise ski area controversy; the NPS not wanting local skiers to pressure MRNP to plow it and start putting in rope tows, etc even as they were trying to get skiers off the south side of the park. The permitting of Crystal Mountain eventually rendered the issue moot, it opened in 1962. Yes, it's a mob scene in summer. My input: 1.) The new Wonderland "trail running" cartels should be banned--along with their passenger van armadas, folding tables, shade tents, squirt bottles and gift bags. 2.) Access should be limited by the size of the parking lot. I've seen cars lined up more than a full mile down the road. First come, first served. No roadside parking. No bullsh## online reservation system either. Just get up early or go somewhere else. Build a turn-around at Paul Peak or below and drag out the Parking Lot Full sawhorse

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 11:12 pm 
Brian R wrote:
The new Wonderland "trail running" cartels should be banned--along with their passenger van armadas, folding tables, shade tents, squirt bottles and gift bags
From a 2008 blog I wrote: https://www.williswall.com/willis-wall-blog/2008/9/14/wonderland-trail-a-purists-view.html

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 12:21 am 
My biggest gripes are they take up parking lot space, campground space, are a commercial operation elbowing out the general public, are exempted from wilderness group size limits, and are generally obnoxious on the trail. In fact, they border on universally obnoxious. I would rather have MRNP wilderness encounters with hunters, motorcycles, wolves, ticks, giardia cysts, chupacabra, aliens with scales and large teeth, escaped convicts carrying hatchets.

neek

neek
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 6:45 am 
Brian R wrote:
Access should be limited by the size of the parking lot
Here's what I would like: Build a giant parking lot in Carbonado. Bike (or ebike) the 20 miles to the end of 165, or the 10 miles to the Carbon entrance. Put in a gate or something to keep out thieves.
williswall wrote:
https://www.williswall.com/willis-wall-blog/2008/9/14/wonderland-trail-a-purists-view.html
A sag wagon for the Wonderland is silly. Ultralight setup plus 3 days of calories would be what, 12 pounds or so?
Joseph wrote:
Of all the main WT starting points, and supply cache locations, it is the most that gets ripped off
People are stealing caches of hiking food? That's sad. Not sure why you'd need to cache anyway though.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 8:59 am 
Quote:
Same here, thinking rav4 prime, but also intrigued by full ev, when there are more choices in a few years. Wayyy off topic though, sorry.
I was interested in checking out the RAV4 Prime too but there are none to be found! Toyota allotted a laughable number to the US, and dealers tell me there are factory production issues at the moment and don't know when they will get any more.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 9:10 am 
Brian R wrote:
My biggest gripes are they take up parking lot space, campground space, are a commercial operation elbowing out the general public, are exempted from wilderness group size limits, and are generally obnoxious on the trail. In fact, they border on universally obnoxious. I would rather have MRNP wilderness encounters with hunters, motorcycles, wolves, ticks, giardia cysts, chupacabra, aliens with scales and large teeth, escaped convicts carrying hatchets.
Totally agree about these commercial operations elbowing the public out. When I was planning a Stehekin area backpacking trip last summer I was very surprised to learn that there were commerical supported running tours going from Cascade Pass to Stehekin, occupying campgrounds as a group along the way. I started doing some digging into how many of these types of operations were going on and taking up backcountry campsites in MORA and NOCA and it seemed like a lot. Given how hard it can be for the public to get backcountry permits I was galled to find that participants can just buy their way in and that profit-driven companies were allowed to get an allotment of sites. Write your parks!!