Forum Index > Trail Talk > What's on your 2021 hit list/wish list/tick list.....?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 7:06 pm 
As seasons are again rapidly changing, our winter dreams of high alpine experiences are approaching reality, not just fantasy. So... What trips, outdoor goals, bucket-list, or old-favorite outings that you are planning for the season of 2021?? I am sure for all of us, we are hoping that the Covid risks will decline so we can reunite with family and friends this year, I am included in that wish! But for this thread, I am only referring to your mountain plans, whether grand or casual. So, where are you going to be heading in 2021? For me, one area I have on my 2021 list is Square Lake and Swallow Lakes. I was last there in the late-70s with my dad and I promised him I would go back someday. I'm sure it will be more difficult now that the trails are not as well maintained, but it will be an adventure and memorable, just as all such trips are. I have other trips planned, but that one is on the top of my list, in memory of my dad.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 7:50 pm 
I'll play! (Funny, was just looking at Square Lake on the topo today....) - The Brothers - Spider Gap/Buck Creek Pass - Phelps Mountain - Mt. Washington (Olympics) - Hawkins Mountain - Terror Basin - One-two recon trips into Silesia creek for a sekrit objective for next year - Something in the Pasayten because I didn't make it out there at all in 2020 And non-trip but hiking related: - Sleep by myself in the backcountry for at least one night. Something I have been steeling my nerves to do and I hope the stars align for a solo overnight this year.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 8:35 pm 
I hope you can do your memorial trip for your dad, Downhill, what a cool idea. I always wanted to do one to Jug Lake for my dad, for some reason he always loved to tell the story of his trip there, especially the part about the monster mosquitoes who practically ate him alive. KascadeFlat, I hope you are able to do a solo overnight, it can be a lot of fun and there really isn’t that much to be worried about. I like to bring a little inflatable solar powered lantern I hang from my tarp if no one else is around. It goes out right about the time I fall asleep and provides a comforting light. I have many trips in mind for 2021, but the biggest one is a circumnavigation of Glacier Peak with Hiking Partner. One of my good friends has offered to help with resupply over the 80 mile route. We did a recon trip last summer to see if I could get across the Napeequa and over High Pass, which went well, so we should be good to go. Hoping for a good smoke-free weather window towards the end of summer!

babylero

babylero
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 8:57 pm 
  • The Brothers
  • Colchuck Peak via its glacier
  • Sahale Mtn (camping at glacier camp)
  • Baring Mtn
  • Navaho Peak and Headlight Basin
  • Squire Creek Pass
  • Ruby Mountain
  • Horseshoe Basin
  • Oregon Butte
  • Mt. Carrie and High Dive
  • Mt. Constance, or at least lay my own eyes on the TT and FT
  • Entiat Meadows
  • Image Lake via Spider/Lyman Gap
  • Take my dad to see the B-17 wreckage at Tubal Cain

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 9:02 pm 
Downhill wrote:
Swallow Lakes.
Great choice!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
uww

uww
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 11:51 pm 
Way too many! But what I would be happy with accomplishing is: Three Fingers Mt. Daniel Brothers North Twin Sister

neek

neek
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 6:47 am 
Looks like everyone and her brother is thinking of the Brothers smile.gif I think the popular hikes/climbs are going to be even more popular this summer, and plan to focus on more obscure objectives, ideally those with a mountain bike approach. But things are always last-minute and opportunistic with me, so it depends on what seems good the night before, or what someone drags me out to.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 8:49 am 
Beware on the Brothers early season the main route sluffs and slides on hot days.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Silas

Silas
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 9:09 am 
Fun. Can't wait for everyone's trip reports this summer; weather is changing fast. For me: - Lime Ridge - Snowfield group - Carrie/Fairchild - Breakfast sandwich at Mazama store - Live show rocker.gif

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 9:22 am 
Silas wrote:
Breakfast sandwich at Mazama store
Love these. Best bagels anywere in WA. Was just up there this past weekend and didn't get there early enough. I should have ordered a half dozen bagels in advance but forgot. frown.gif I'm very wary of continued crowding this year so I'm focusing on getting away away away. Backcountry Denali and also Katmai for my main vacation. I imagine my local hiking will be like last year, sort of second tier hikes on weekdays when I can get away from work.

babylero

babylero
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 10:41 am 
I'm thinking April early May

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 11:36 am 
I'm back in May thru August.... Glacier Peak Little T Baker (ski) Chenuis Mtn traverse Alki Crest loop 20 more peaks in Mt. Rainier (finished 50 so far) Ski: Russell/Fryingpan/Inter/Whitman/Paradise glaciers Plus my daughter snagged a permit for the High Sierra Trail to Whitney (out and back) in August

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 11:44 am 
I'm really looking forward to seeing Mount Si and Mailbox Peak. (And then Rainier.)

reststep

reststep
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 2:22 pm 
A couple that have been on my list for a long time. Queets River and Ruby Mountain and try to make it up Townsend, Ellinor and to Marmot Pass again.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 2:29 pm 
Here are some destinations that look interesting to me at the moment. Probably won't hit them all:
  • Blanca Lake
  • Lake Ingalls
  • Lake of the Angels
  • Price Lake
  • Eagle Lakes
  • Chikamin Lake/Peak
  • Navaho Peak
  • Harts Pass to Rainy Pass
  • Ice Lakes / Maude / 7FJ
  • Rampart Lakes (Via the Backdoor)
  • Tuck/Robin Lakes
  • Spade/Venus/Waptus Lakes
  • Thunder Mountain Lakes
  • Mount St Helens
  • Mount Adams
  • Vesper Peak
Will probably also hit some of my annual repeats... Earl Peak, Maple Pass, etc. I would also like to maybe try and get back up to Gothic Basin and actually stay the night this time. But only if I can manage to find a day without crowds... I have the entire month of August scheduled off this year. I had intentions of backpacking the Sierra High Route but I don't have any friends willing to do it with me and it's probably too dangerous to solo...