Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiker stabs mountain biker
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 1:09 pm 
catsp wrote:
We don't know all the facts but we can identify the "victim"?
Yes we can. The victim is the sexagenarian who was assaulted and stabbed multiple times suffering injuries bad enough to require an airlift to Harborview. The perp is Dake Traphagen. Mr Traphagen has been charged by local authorities, after a 2 week investigation, with 1st degree assault and possession of a dangerous weapon. Mr Traphagen turned himself into the authorities yesterday.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 1:09 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
and is redding up
Are you an ex Yinzer?

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
mb

mb
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 1:28 pm 
In time of high stress (say when someone is attacked), people do all sorts of strange things. Running home and licking wounds is a plausible thing to do, even if not the right one. Deescalates the situation for sure. Stabbing someone is also... well I guess a thing to do, but certainly not a balanced one!

neek

neek
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 1:30 pm 
catsp wrote:
Oh, well in that case, let's move on to sentencing!
Maybe some trail maintenance? Smooth out some of those rooty sections? Alleged perp's nextdoor post: https://imgbb.com/pQyQ1MP Looks like a decent guy (unless this is a coincidence): https://www.traphagenguitars.com/

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 1:33 pm 
Randito wrote:
I think there is much we don't know. E.g. The cyclist states that he "requested" that the hikers yield , but we don't if the "request" was of the form "wold please let me through this tricky section" or "Out of my way assholes!!" We also don't know if this cyclist was a rarity or of he was the Nth of a string of cyclists churning up the trail that the hikers had yielded repeatedly. I'm sure there is more to the story.
That's true. If he was clipped in, would there be time for a prolonged polite conversation and explanation? Some idiot jogger roared at hikers to get out of his way once; you could hear his big fat mouth a half a mile away. Not sure I would have stabbed him, given the opportunity, but I might have. He made my blood boil, the bastard any way. That was about 4 years ago and I'm still pissed off. embarassedlaugh.gif "Mr. McStabby." That's hilarious, neek.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 1:48 pm 
I don't think sexagenarian means what you think it means. Maybe mix in a dictionary with your snark?
catsp wrote:
FiveNines wrote:
The perp is Dake Traphagen. Mr Traphagen has been charged by local authorities, after a 2 week investigation, with 1st degree assault and possession of a dangerous weapon. Mr Traphagen turned himself into the authorities yesterday.
Oh, well in that case, let's move on to sentencing!
edited above as you misquoted me. Seems like a poor solution. I'd prefer to let the police investigation, our legal system and a court decide these outcomes. Washington state rule of law may not be perfect, but it is the best system we've got!

neek

neek
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 1:51 pm 
catsp wrote:
No disrespect intended to a nearly always thoughtful commenter, but this seems like a pretty silly comment. I have no idea what knife he had, but when I read "spring blade," I pictured something like this (I may be wrong of course).
I assure you, I put minimal thought into my comments. How dare you. According to the charges, it was not legal. Note also that I think carrying bear spray suggests some degree of paranoia. And that one of my favorite quotes is "only the paranoid survive".

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 2:11 pm 
Let's review:
Quote:
Traphagen was interviewed at the trailhead and claims that the mountain biker attacked him with his bike after the disagreement and they fell to the ground. Traphagen then claims that during the altercation he had pulled out a pocket knife and stabbed the mountain biker in self-defense to get him off.
Quote:
The mountain biker was interviewed a few days later however .... A male in the group grabbed his handlebars, causing him to lose balance. He and the bike tumbled onto the hiker and became tangled up as the victim was still clipped into the bike. The hiker began hitting him and everyone was yelling for him to get off of the man. He then noticed that it wasn’t hitting, but that the hiker had a knife and was stabbing him in the arm and the leg.
LINK There is clearly a discrepancy in these two accounts about "who threw the 1st punch"

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 2:56 pm 
Randito wrote:
There is clearly a discrepancy in these two accounts about "who threw the 1st punch"
The judge/jury will likely look at the whole situation relative to the degree of force used by Mr. Traphagen. Regardless of who threw the first punch, knifing a cyclist in a right-of-way dispute is over-the-top. What I find curious about the incident is that there were at least 2 others with Traphagen, so why didn't they pull the cyclist off of him? They just stood around? Mr. Traphagen is in serious trouble and could very likely end up losing his business. Besides potential jail, he'll likely get sued, big time.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 3:42 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I think we as a species are so far gone that Jesus is ticking off his travel checklist, and is redding up to come down and pay us that last, promised visit.
Gawd I hope so! But I hope he waits a few more years so I can get some trips to the Winds and The Beartooths. My "solution" is to hike on week days and to places that very few people go.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 4:08 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Mr. Traphagen is in serious trouble
Agreed -- and I think in evaluating the case a reasonable person would a consider to what degree at any point did each party have the opportunity to "step aside" and deescalate the situation. If the testimony of other witnessess is that the biker rammed the hiker and the grabbing of the handbars was a defensive response, the hiker's case of self-defense will be a bit stronger. Based on the experience of a former co-worker of mine who got involved in a cyclist/motorist road rage incident that resulted in a fight -- I expect that Mr. Traphagen is facing tens of thousands of dollars in legal expenses as a minimum -- even if all charges are dropped and his insurance company agrees to cover/settle any civil action.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 4:26 pm 
Can't quote Neek's link but in it Mr. McStabby states that he and THREE hiking buddies were unable to get the biker off of him...WTF, was he a professional wrestler or a Hells Angels Biker? There is much we don't know so we can only speculate...but if one were pinned to the ground <maybe being injured> possibly choked, one would be completely justified in stabbing the guy. I mean if a Cougar jumped on you and pinned you down, you had better be doing some stabbing and quick!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 4:28 pm 
Insurance will not cover intentional acts if convicted the biker could sue for civil assault and he would be strictly liable. He could well end up impoverished.Just like the Goldman’s got a bundle from OJ even though he was acquired in the criminal trial.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 5:06 pm 
catsp wrote:
We don't know all the facts but we can identify the "victim"?
The guy who got stabbed multiple times isn't the victim??!? The police know more than either of us; the attacker is in jail and the victim is in the hospital. You have to really hate mountain bikers to be unable to see that.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 5:09 pm 
For context, please remember hikers were planting booby traps for cyclists a few years ago 50? miles away in Vancouver recently. Trail sabotage against mountain bikers is a thing, and now they're getting stabbed on the trail too.