Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rock Mountain 4/18/2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am 
It was a glorious weekend in April in the mountains! I hope y'all got out from your homes to experience the beauty that we rarely get! Trailhead is off of Highway 2. Parking only available for 3 cars right now due to snow within 30 meters of the road. For some people who do not know...best is to take the switchbacks of the road to the trail that starts underneath the upper powerlines. USGS map is helpful. Right now some snow on road. Then disappears near where the trail starts. No snow on trail to 3300 feet then some snowpatches and full on snow starts at 4100 feet on the trail. After that, head straight up. Snow was getting soft around 12:30 and I finally put on snowshoes around 5500 feet. Some skier was there the day before. 4 hours up. 1 hour on summit even taking a nap. 2 hours down. 4200 feet of gain

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 12:22 pm 
Stefan wrote:
For some people who do not know...best is to take the switchbacks of the road to the trail that starts underneath the upper powerlines
That's a good tip. I have only used the Snowy Creek trailhead on the northwest side of Rock. If I was to hike from the highway I might waste time looking for the trail right from the small parking spot. So, next trip...follow the powerline road for a couple of switchbacks to locate the trail. Got it. Thank you Stefan. (You look pretty content there on the summit in your rare selfie. When I camped there at the former LO site, a big billy waited very near all night long, waiting for the yellow salt solution. I didn't take a selfie but I bet it would have shown me glaring at those very sharp long horns eek.gif .)

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Kenji

Kenji
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 3:13 pm 
Thanks for the update of the snow pack. It's time to hit the West slope before going green!