Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Next round of growth management issues in King County
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Apr 07, 2021 3:55 pm 
The King County 2021 *draft* buildable land report has just been released. I have not looked at this yet. Back a couple of years ago the builders were saying there is not enough land inside the urban growth area (UGA) to accommodate the expected growth. The planners were saying there was enough buildable land inside the UGA to accommodate growth. In part, this report is intended to shed light on that issue. The report is 366 pages so if you have been having trouble falling asleep lately, this just might be your ticket to sweet dreams. EDIT: This draft report is missing chapers 1, 2 and 5 Open the report: https://www.kingcounty.gov/~/media/depts/executive/performance-strategy-budget/regional-planning/CPPs/2021-CPP-Update/2021-UGC/2021-KC-Urban-Growth-Capacity-Report-Prelim-Draft_v3.ashx?la=en

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 11:54 am 
Joey wrote:
Back a couple of years ago the builders were saying there is not enough land inside the urban growth area (UGA) to accommodate the expected growth. The planners were saying there was enough buildable land inside the UGA to accommodate growth. In part, this report is intended to shed light on that issue.
I hope someone "Cliff Notes" that report b/c I don't have that big of an insomnia problem. smile.gif But isn't that what builders will always say; mainly b/c what's available isn't where they want to build. Just as a somewhat related example, a year or two ago Seattle Times columnist Danny Westneat wrote that there was plenty enough available land in the city for lots of density development without having to do do upzoning in SF areas; but developers didn't want to build there; they wanted to build in places where they could charge more for their finished product. I'm still a little ticked off about Redmond Ridge - or was it that other nearby development - Weyerhaeuser just bought off the county to build what they wanted, where they wanted it, with a few greenbelt concessions thrown in, right? On a related note, I heard that the current mayor of Redmond is big on development expansion, so look out, peripheral unincorporated county residents.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message