Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Cable Modem - Comcast
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Apr 08, 2021 6:32 pm 
Comcast started to support an upgraded DOSIS 3.1 communication protocol on most local cable systems in the past two years. I replaced my 5 year old DOSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with a new DOCIS 3.1 one (Motorola MB8600), and my connection speed performance has increased by 4 times the prior level. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade if your connection speed is well below your the plan limit.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 6:36 am 
already have a 3.1 but the speed has never been as they advertised it, but it is way way faster than the dial up I had before so no complaints

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 6:11 pm 
@InFlight I am on comcast with a cable modem I purchased some years ago. No complaints about speed but I am curious. So how does your speed compare now to your plan speed?

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 7:29 pm 
Joey wrote:
@InFlight I am on comcast with a cable modem I purchased some years ago. No complaints about speed but I am curious. So how does your speed compare now to your plan speed?
I haven’t tried directly plugged in to the router which would be a true test. With my Gigabit router (Wireless N) my IPad has 82.8 MBS download and 5.9 upload on a 100MBS plan.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 7:55 pm 
InFlight wrote:
I haven’t tried directly plugged in to the router which would be a true test. With my Gigabit router (Wireless N) my IPad has 82.8 MBS download and 5.9 upload on a 100MBS plan.
Whenever I've complained to Comcast/Xfinity/Spectrum/etc about bandwidth being below what I'm paying for, the 1st part of the script is about using a direct wired connection between the modem and the computer. If there is even a wired router between the modem and the computer they will blame it. The support people get a bit flustered when I call in with a directed wired connection, a PC that has all updates installed and has just been rebooted. And my browser has no extensions installed.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Apr 10, 2021 8:12 am 
my cable modem is plugged into a linksys wireless router. the plan said 30mbs. the ethernet card in the computer can handle 100mbs.. my download speeds are anywhere between 200kbs and 3200kbs depending on traffic on the system. most of my downloads run 600-700kbs which compared to 4.5kbs on dial is much better. I have no complaints even being below the plan.