Forum Index > Trail Talk > Yosemite, Glacier, and Rocky Mountain National Parks requiring reservations for day trips
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostMon Apr 26, 2021 6:38 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Look if you're looking to SECURE space within the various red taped destinations these days you need to be hirin' out. You need to be throwing cash at the problem these days!! Gotta get these internet guys working for YOU ALONE. Getting those web based internet code program internet applications set up by early March to ensure you can break through the red tape and remain relevant in the outdoor scene with highly desirable itineraries reserved throughout the main months.
Sounds like another step in promoting selfishness. Me, me, me.....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Apr 26, 2021 8:54 am 
gb wrote:
BigBrunyon wrote:
Look if you're looking to SECURE space within the various red taped destinations these days you need to be hirin' out. You need to be throwing cash at the problem these days!! Gotta get these internet guys working for YOU ALONE. Getting those web based internet code program internet applications set up by early March to ensure you can break through the red tape and remain relevant in the outdoor scene with highly desirable itineraries reserved throughout the main months.
Well what country do you live in? Isn't that the battle cry of the republic these days? Its all about the Benjamins, no matter the cost to any one or anything else. Anyone who falls short of this belief is a STIKIN' COMMIE!!!!!!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 26, 2021 9:06 am 
dixon wrote:
What's disappointing is that over on Reddit folks are writing software that can exploit gaps in the park's website and programmatically secure reservations by attempting the transaction every 5 seconds or so. Hopefully, the Park Services wise up to this otherwise non-tech folks don't stand a chance against bots.
That isn't exploiting gaps in the web site, it's functioning the way it was intended. The web site is there to get money. It isn't the Park Service's web site, it's run by a private company you and I pay with our fees and taxes, to sell passes. They're in business to make a buck, fairness doesn't play into recreation.gov's reason for being.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 26, 2021 9:23 am 
gb wrote:
I'm sure you've seen all the many threads here about "I went hiking and other people were there." This is what people wanted. huh.gif frown.gif

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 8:00 am 
I scored some camp spots on recreation.gov for this Summer. But I am often frustrated by how many spots seem to be booked extremely early in the season, presumably by a mixture of other humans and these bots. What I am wondering is what do the bots do with these campground reservations? Is it legal to resell them? Can you point me to the website where I can score a Cougar Rock Rainier camp spot for a premium price?

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 9:00 am 
in the ONP, High Divide camp spots "sell out" in February for July trips. I booked a couple as I know the spiel (still some advantage to being "local"). All the single occupancy valley camps get gobbled up immediately, and since we usually arrive at the trailhead around noon or later, those are needed (when I hike with my wife we keep the daily mileage down to keep the pleasure high). This year it was a race, I couldn't get the usual spots but still found some that suited our style. Just about anything outside the High Divide is pretty accessible. Looking at the rec.gov listings, nearly all Sol Duc area spots are long gone...for August. While there are plenty of spots in Grand Valley, even over Labor Day weekend. My solo trips require no early permitting as no one goes where I go. Rainier requires the ID from the original "buyer" to "activate" the permit. Today the remaining inventory at MRNP went "on sale" Anything anywhere within 5 miles of the Wonderland Trail is long gone! Its a stampede!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 9:30 am 
For three years in a row I've booked a fall weekend at Eightmile campground in the Icicle. Three years in a row I've had to cancel due to terrible weather or family illness or other family commitments cropping up. At least three years in a row I've submitted a permit app to NCNP for a summer trip. Three years in a row I've still found myself in Marblemount at some ungodly hour the day before the trip needed to alter the permit or gettting smoked out completely. Maybe for some people it works but scheduling my outdoor rec six+ months in advance just doesn't. Sticking to the obscure FS land this year.

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 pm 
I'm tired of seeing "booked" campsites that go unused. In good weather, even. I imagine this new car reservation system will see the same kind of waste. Those with lots of money will book the drive-in spot 'just in case,' and not lose any sleep if they change their plans.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm 
Brian R wrote:
I'm tired of seeing "booked" campsites that go unused
They become walk-up spots if people don't show by a certain hour. MRNP says they will repurpose the permits if not activated by noon of the day of the hike. I think ONP gives until 1 or 2pm.

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 1:44 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
Brian R wrote:
I'm tired of seeing "booked" campsites that go unused
They become walk-up spots if people don't show by a certain hour. MRNP says they will repurpose the permits if not activated by noon of the day of the hike. I think ONP gives until 1 or 2pm.
By two o'clock in the afternoon, it's already wasted. In other words, it's doubtful anyone would be waiting for a no-show that late in the day and, in any event, it's likely the desired campsite is 'out of range' for such a late start. Not sure how this system works for the new drive-in regimen. A huge parking area for motorists waiting in the queue for no-shows?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 11:46 pm 
altasnob wrote:
What I am wondering is what do the bots do with these campground reservations? Is it legal to resell them? Can you point me to the website where I can score a Cougar Rock Rainier camp spot for a premium price?
There is no website because these bots are being used by individuals hirin' out!!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 28, 2021 10:14 am 
altasnob wrote:
What I am wondering is what do the bots do with these campground reservations? Is it legal to resell them? Can you point me to the website where I can score a Cougar Rock Rainier camp spot for a premium price?
Bots do the same thing with their reservations that your browser does with its. Turn them over to their human masters I assume it's illegal to resell tickets but bots and web browsers never really owned them to begin with. Here is a web site you can begin your journey to Cougar Rock on. There's no money involved but you'll pay a premium in the only asset moral beings truly have: time. Spend it wisely. https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Apr 28, 2021 10:43 am 
Quote:
There's no money involved but you'll pay a premium in the only asset moral beings truly have: time.
A little Python and Selenium magic might give you a rebate on that time wink.gif

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Apr 28, 2021 4:43 pm 
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Apr 29, 2021 12:10 am 
I am extremely concerned about scalpers hanging out by the entrances!