Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dog poop bags
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 5:26 am 
Besides leaving poop bags along the trail, sometimes people pack them out and then leave them at the trailhead. We picked up one full and one empty bag on a trail last week and cleaned up three more piled at the trailhead which had no trash can.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
stever

stever
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 7:26 am 
I was hiking at a popular trail along I-90 and I didn't notice any dog poop bags on the trail....on the way down I stopped at the bathroom. Someone had taken all of the bags (and there were a lot of them) and placed them in rows inside the bathroom. I guess they thought whoever was going to clean the bathroom would take them?

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 8:06 am 
This is a large and growing and gross and unsanitary issue. A couple weeks ago there four FOUR bags of dog sh## in the first 100 yards of the Cable Line trail. How damn lazy do you have to be to leave a disgusting bag of turd 30 seconds from your car?? Look. You want to hike with your pet, that's fine (on a leash). But with that comes responsibility to other hikers. I don't leave my turds on trails (though I hiked past two piles of human poop directly on trails in March), don't leave turds from your party. If you don't like carrying dog turds on your hike, rethink bringing your dog. Your party, your responsibility. I once carried a partner's blue bag from the summit of Rainier back to Muir. Seriously, it's not a big deal. Be responsible; pick it up and carry it up and back down. You are likely to forget it, or decide it's not a big deal to leave it on the way down. And even if you do remember, NO ONE wants to hike past a bag full of crap that you left, if even for just an hour. Good grief.

If not now, when?
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 8:48 am 
I remember back in days of yore when people let their dogs roamed free and let their dogs relieve themselves amongst the ferns and salal well off trail...and leave it alone...and the stuff would decompose. I think people are going into the off trail and picking up the dog stuff. I remember, when dogs relieved themselves well off trail, nobody cared. Nobody. I guess the stuff doesn't decompose anymore and so hence people are bagging it up. Why are people even bagging that stuff up? Why not just throw it like monkees?

Art is an adventure.
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 8:56 am 

HikingBex

HikingBex
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 9:06 am 
I think a lot of people don't want to carry it with them because then they can smell the poop for much of their hike. Here's our tried & true method: Step 1: Buy a pint of your favorite flavor of Talenti gelato (the ones that come in a plastic container w/ screw top lid) Step 2: Eat gelato (bonus points if you do this all in one sitting) Step 3: Wash out container well Step 4: Bring old Talenti container on hikes as an airtight Poop Containment Device to carry the stinky bags until you find a trashcan This way you get to eat ice cream AND not be a huge ass#### on the trail. Win-win! Or just get a backpack for your dog and make them carry their own poop out - added bonus of dogs looking objectively adorable in backpacks.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 9:08 am 
Ski wrote:
Reading this stuff from people who don't own dogs always cracks me up.
what difference does it make if you do or don't own a dog. Actually responsible dog owners are probably more upset than the non-owners. I don't have a dog in the race so I don't care if they get banned, the responsible owners have something to lose here - the ability to take their pooch on a polite walk in the woods. Back in the day...when there wasn't a 2 mile long line to park for a day hike and there were only a handful of dogs out there it was ok to just let Rover drop his load and then kick it off the trail...but today there would be a big stinky pile laying there, plus the wildlife isn't going to benefit from the extra nutritional supplements supplied by domesticated dog turds any more than they do from our well intentioned but deadly hand outs. Listened to the ranger at MRNP telling the crowd that giving the critters human food was going to kill them. They take the hydrated food back to their storage cache and it then spreads mold to all of their food and they starve over the winter. Nice going there folks. But it made me feel good to feed the mooching ground squirrel.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am 
Ski wrote:
Reading this stuff from people who don't own dogs always cracks me up. Thanks for the laughs. lol.gif
Why? I'm not a junkie but I don't like used needles being left out either.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 am 
just use a turd-a-pult and launch it into the woods, skipping the whole bagging, transporting and transferring to a landfill somewhere process. The shits going to be somewhere anyway.

Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 10:04 am 
alpendave wrote:
Also a big shoutout to the NFS for deciding it is better to pollute streams with people’s waste that to risk them getting Covid while taking a dump in the backcountry outhouse.
Exactly. Government logic is even more confounding than that of the irresponsible dog owner. Be sure to visit the vast poop garden that has formed at the locked gate to the bathroom near FS73 along HWY 410. Working for you!

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 pm 
Yea it's always those that would never do such a thing that complain the loudest. The do gooders.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 12:02 pm 
I do that, so does my friend, we pick it up on the way back, don't understand how that ruins your life. We put it out of site so unless you are taking a dump yourself, you won't see it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 12:38 pm 
The truth is people who don't like smelly turd bags lining the trails should talk or write to the land management agency about them.

uww

uww
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 12:43 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I do that, so does my friend, we pick it up on the way back, don't understand how that ruins your life. We put it out of site so unless you are taking a dump yourself, you won't see it.
I do the same thing when I am going off trail- throwing my garbage along the way helps lighten my load. If I miss it on the way back, no big deal- animals litter too.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 1:34 pm 
I talked at length with a ranger about this issue and he prefers that people just chuck it into the brush. Seems way better than those nasty bags. I used to pick up the poop bags from Kendall peak lakes as it was my special place but now the hordes have discovered this once forgotten hike, I don’t play poop fairy any more.