Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ross lake 4/13-17/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSun Apr 18, 2021 10:25 pm 
This trip was in the making since last year hiking into Big Beaver camp on the west shore of Ross lake. I did it with my sister then. We both spoke of Karl and his winter pack raft reports into Ross lake. The puzzle was how to get to the east side trail with the road closed and no flotation device. A month later I purchased a used Kayak on CraigsList. A year later I am chatting with karl at 10:30 in the evening...well past my bedtime. He gave me some valuable insight and my excitement level was jacked! Time to roll on this idea. So I had a set of portage wheels from Paddlelogic that needed to be tested. Tuesday Morning, April 13th, I show up at the Ross dam trail with a 40lb pack on my back and a kayak strapped incorrectly to my new wheels. My hands are going numb already from all the time spent getting the stuff ready in the breezy and cold shade hovering around freezing temps. I start rolling this contraption down the trail and it all goes to hell so I just pick up the boat and horse it down the trail switching from one shoulder to the other in pain. Once on the gravel road I am sweating like a pig... I reconfigure the wheel setup and manage to get it to roll properly. Shortly I am at the waters edge at the dam and in the water by 10:15. The newly graded road reaches almost to the water with only 100 feet of steepish dirt/rocks to the waters edge. Step one: step in mud at edge and sink to shins. Step two: get in kayak and get the inside bottom covered in mud ( theme of trip ). I was freezing. Had 3 shirts on, a windbreaker and soaked feet and numb hands but was jubilant as I easily cruised out onto the water and into the sun. Paddling was a dream: light headwinds at first then calm for midday until camp. I visited a few camps and interesting shore formations before landing at Devils junction about 3. I stayed here 3 nights. Great camp. Close to a good stream and lots of firewood from winter deadfall. A doe spent a few mornings with me in camp. I paddled north until the lake turned into a river...shortly after Little beaver camp. I visited many camps and scouted them out, requiring a fair amount of trudging uphill through mud, sand, rocks and stumps. Up until my last night at Big beaver I saw nobody. Big beaver camp is a 7 mile hike in on the west shore so people were moving in on friday night. I was already setup when they began to show up. There is an appeal here for me that is not for everyone. The lake is low and desolate looking but it is also quiet. And of course the mountains are amazing no matter what level the lake is at. There is a lot to look at in terms of what's revealed when a lake is low. The story of these huge stumps is really something. Near Little beaver camp I had to be careful not to hit them and crack my boat. So many were lurking an inch or 2 below the surface. The weather was warm enough for the first bug hatch on the water and the fish were hitting them hard. They were flying out of the water easily a foot at times and slapping hard. The hammock is an essential kayaking item for resting an overworked back. I was cold each night with my wimpy summer bag. On my last night it was the worst. That night I dreamed that Jesse from Breaking Bad kindly offered me a blanket. Weather was beautiful to the end. Saturday around noon I pulled my boat on wheels up the Dam trail and road with success to finish off a fine trip.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 10:20 am 
Looks fabulous, thanks for the report!

snowshoeman

snowshoeman
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 8:18 pm 
Thanks for posting. Like you, I have come to really appreciate Ross Lake (and surrounding mountains) this time of the year. I camped at Cougar Island one evening last week and it was another lonely, awesome experience. Looks like I need to get further up the lake on the next trip!

carlb328

carlb328
PostFri Apr 23, 2021 8:37 am 
Teasing me with fish, unfortunately I live in Texas currently so I can't run out there this weekend and try to catch them.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Apr 23, 2021 8:57 am 
Teasing indeed. They were waking up out of the winter doldrums I guess. Fishing season on Ross is not until July sometime though. The tuna packets I ate were a sad substitute for trout!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Apr 25, 2021 4:53 pm 
Awesome report and pics. I would be terrified if I started sinking in quicksand, especially all alone. It happened to me twice at Jetty Island in Everett (slow learner). I love Ross lake.... at full pool!

KarlK

KarlK
PostSun Apr 25, 2021 6:59 pm 
Very nice report! I'm heading to Lightning Creek via packraft and boots starting April 26th. The goal is to scout for a June saw project on the Three Fools trail involving some of the usual suspects. Many thanks for writing this up -- excellent beta is always a big plus!

Karl J Kaiyala
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSun Apr 25, 2021 7:05 pm 
Karl, I hope the weather is kind to you. I enjoyed the Lightning creek camp. According to a Ross lake resort worker, the lake should be about at its lowest then.

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:54 am 
Hopefully this will encourage more people to go here

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 26, 2021 1:36 pm 
The lake is so low!! Looks and sounds like an adventure. You covered a lot of distance! Those bridges over Devils and Lightning Creeks are incredibly cool from the water. I can't imagine fighting a kayak down that trail!!

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Apr 26, 2021 5:51 pm 
Cyclopath, My kayak weighs only 32lbs so it surely could have been worse. Most 10 foot kayaks are heavier. The good news is that next year I'l be better at portaging and it will be easier smile.gif I'm already looking forward to next years adventure here.

Strider518

Strider518
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 5:57 am 
Your pictures of Ross Lake temporarily re-becoming the Skagit River a something to see. I have never given any thought to how low the water gets in the Winter time. I appreciate your humorous description of hauling the kayak down to the lake. This is how things go in the backcountry sometimes. Good work!

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 7:08 am 
I remember an early-season canoe trip at Ross Lake several years ago in March or April, when the reservoir was very low. The banks of the lake are notoriously steep in places, and very porous too. After a brief stop to admire some geological research findings, I walked towards the canoe thinking I’d be on solid ground, and nearly fell into the lake because my foot went through the sand to my knee. Good thing I caught myself in time. Some swear words might have been uttered.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue May 04, 2021 9:23 pm 
Cool trip and nice photos. One thing you might want to consider is a farmer John wetsuit over a lightweight neoprene top. Should you wind up in the water (especially Ross Lake) it could mitigate the cold shock and buy you time to get back in your boat (or swim to shore). Kokatat makes one for about $135.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue May 04, 2021 9:49 pm 
Alpendave, yes I could also use that for the sound. I might look into it. Karl mentioned that to me as well.