Forum Index > Trail Talk > Alaska, anyone?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
talapus

talapus
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 5:18 pm 
OK, so completely off-topic, but maybe somebody can help me. Spooked by the near-certainty of California wildfires, we are thinking of trading our week-long Sierra High Route trip for something equally (or more) epic in Alaska (in late August). Except... neither one of us has ever hiked in Alaska beyond some minor day-hikes. Anyone here with experience to recommend some sources for research (or actual routes)? TIA!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 10:22 am 
Theres some great drop off hikes in the Brooks Range. I done a float trip where I combined it with hiking and fishing up there. I will certainly be doing more truly a great adventure. 10 days floating on the river with lots of stops and hiking.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 5:11 pm 
Lots of rain on the south coast in August. Check out the talkeetna mountains (Bomber loop, Montana Peak etc), or the Brooks range (Arrigetch Peaks) around then. Climbing Igikpak is a dream of mine. If you're versed with big glaciers, the climbing potential is endless. Lots of day hikes in chugach state park such as eagle lake and peak, east twin, and Indian head basin. Suicide peaks are fun too. Whittier area is great... Portage pass area has great short hikes, and endless cross country potential. There is a secret trail to treeline across the bay from Seward that heads up to the ridge on mount Alice... only continue to the summit if you're very comfortable soloing loose low 5th. If you are versed at sea kayaking, rent one and sea kayak in Blackstone Bay. Camp on the many wild beaches. Bushwhack your way to treeline from a beach. Climb Mount Thor from the glenallen highway if you're versed in very long glacier climbs. Fly into little switzerland and climb lower elevation rock nunataks with denali backdropping you. If you find yourself by white pass and skagway, Ab mountain trail is fun...continue to the very summit for a fun ridgerun. I have many more options if you want...feel free to pm me, and give me some details regarding your experience level.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 5:44 pm 
One thing to consider by going in August is peak bug season is past and fall colors are starting. Enjoy your trip.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
talapus

talapus
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 6:52 am 
Thanks, everyone! What a wealth of suggestions!

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 1:19 pm 
Matt Lemke wrote:
If you find yourself by white pass and skagway, Ab mountain trail is fun...continue to the very summit for a fun ridgerun.
I'll second this suggestion. There are quite a few great hikes in and around Skagway: The Chilkoot trail is a 33 mile through hike that follows a tlingit indian and later gold rush traveler route from Dyea, AK to Bennett, BC. Look it up, pretty special route with a lot of historic significance. Laughton Glacier is a short train ride from town, very fun adventure as the train will drop you off on the side of the tracks and can pick you up same day or days later, whichever you choose. There is a mountain hut available on a first come-first serve basis. Upper Dewey lake and devils punchbowl are also worthy overnight destinations with a hut available that you may share with mice. I could go on but that will get you started! EDIT: Forgot to mention that as others have stated, weather can turn in late August and snow can begin to fall even at lower elevations in early September.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Apr 28, 2021 6:14 pm 
talapus wrote:
our week-long Sierra High Route trip
Daughter and I are doing this out and back August 8 (to Whitney). Let's hope the fire situation isn't bad for us.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Apr 28, 2021 6:51 pm 
If you come up and decide to do dayhikes in the Chugach let me know, I live in the Anchorage area, Chugach State Park (which is huge) is in my backyard. Buy bear spray when you arrive too if you're not packing a gun.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Apr 28, 2021 9:10 pm 
Off trail rambler
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Apr 29, 2021 5:49 am 
talapus, Alaska is a huge state chock full of amazing places to go hiking. You can't go wrong. Where to go depends on what you are looking for, your skill level, and what you are willing to endure. I've done hike trips in the Brooks Range and the Togiak National Wildlife Refuge. I've also combined kayaking and hiking in SE Alaska and canoeing and hiking in SE Alaska. The possibilities are endless. Late August is when we took our trip in the Brooks Range, but that is getting into fall that far north and you need to be prepared for the weather. We had snow and temperatures that dropped into the teens. It was an amazing trip and some of the most difficult hiking I've ever done. Access to many of those places is via airplane so you need to plan for that. I've always just pulled out maps and planned trips that looked interesting. None of the locals we talked to had ever heard of anyone doing a hike trip like we did in the Togiak. Our pilot didn't believe we'd make it to our pick up location. When he picked us up he said he would never doubt is again. So you really don't have to limit yourself.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Apr 30, 2021 8:59 pm 
I made the same mistake I did in a past thread, we are doing the high Sierra trail, not route. Getting old sucks.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Gil

Gil
PostFri Apr 30, 2021 9:57 pm 
If you really want to be adventurous ... http://packrafting.blogspot.com/2010/08/2006-arctic-1000-625-miles-in-24-days.html?m=1

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini