Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > My cat is teaching me to hunt.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 26, 2021 8:05 pm 
Today's lesson was setting up an ambush. I was walking him, a bird flew by, he ran and hid behind a car. I didn't want to spoil his fun so I gave him a moment. He waited for me to come looking for him, gave me a very pleased look, then got ready to pounce. The bird got away. This isn't the first time a walk has turned into a hunting lesson. Has anybody else ever had a cat that did this? They all love to chase birds but this guy is trying to show me how it's done.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostMon Apr 26, 2021 8:33 pm 
Can’t say my Petey Kat will take me for a walk to go hunting, but he’ll spend a good deal of time stalking the shrews in the yard. He always has to tell me about the chipmunk and squirrel infestation in the trees. And heaven forbid if the deer are in the yard, ‘cause he’ll be doing some deer hunting. The deer aren’t sure what to make of a black fluffy thing creeping up on them and his poor cat brain explodes when the deer run away and he always looks at me to say what just happened!?!?!

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Apr 26, 2021 10:19 pm 
My male tuxedo kitty has killed about a dozen chipmunks at our place in Idaho. I would like to keep a couple around since they are so cute and all. My Mom feeds the birds and squirrels so there is no shortage. He is kind of on the small side so hasn't messed with the squirrel much, plus they are a bit more savvy than the 'munks. Although he did get brave enough to charge and chase off a couple of female wild turkey's last week. Only bird has has caught was injured and he isn't a great mouser, just something about him and those little Chippy's.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 6:41 am 
My black burmese female hunts. I have seen her happily returning from a hunt with a field mouse in her mouth. She once brought back one and dropped it at my feet as if to say here is yours, it was still alive so I guess I was supposed to kill it....

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 9:11 am 
I think we had a Bob Cat on our back porch the other evening...I think it may be buds with my cat, who is HUGE and gets along with all the other cats in the 'hood. They all hang out in my yard. I just saw it walking away, first I thought it was a tailless raccoon, but it didn't walk with the usual raccoon wobble. And it was kind of tall and thin with a mottled coat. We have bunnies hopping all over our yard. Well w/in Seattle city limits. Time to get a game camera set up out back. We had a small Momma cat (she was stray that moved in and had kittens in our closet) she was the master mole killer! Moles scream like crazy when they get snagged. We'd be sitting around watching TV and hear the blood curdling scream - and we knew Momma Cat just nailed one. We got used to finding odd organs, tails, feet etc left on the porch - thanks for the snack Momma cat. my current beast is too big for bird hunting, but he does a bang up job of killing rats. He is more lion than leopard, stays on the ground.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 12:01 pm 
Bear hunts a lot and he's too successful. I've tried collars with bells, LED lights, etc, but he still managed to kill, mostly birds. When he sees me relaxing in the couch reading something on my phone he'll climb into my lap and touch the screen with his paw - his way of asking for youtube bird videos. Every cat I've known loved to hunt and play. The weird thing is Bear is determined to include me. "Ok human, now we go where the bird can't see us."