Forum Index > Trail Talk > New book: Destination Hikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
StephenHui
Hiker

StephenHui
Hiker
PostSun Apr 25, 2021 1:55 am 
Hi all: Just wanted to let the NWHikers community know about my new book, Destination Hikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia. It comes out May 11. Picking up where 105 Hikes (my first book) left off, Destination Hikes describes 55 hikes within weekend range of Vancouver. The new book spans 272 pages and offers more detailed and up-to-date trail descriptions, multiple colour photographs per hike, topographic maps, and lots of notes on nature, culture, and history. It’s worth noting that Destination Hikes covers different hikes than those in 105 Hikes, albeit in many of the same regions (North Shore, Sea to Sky, Fraser Valley, Manning Provincial Park, Sunshine Coast, Mount Baker, etc.). As companion volumes, they describe a total of 160 hikes near Vancouver. Published by Greystone Books, Destination Hikes is available for pre-order at local and online bookstores. Check out the table of contents and more. I’ll also be doing a Zoom book launch on May 11 with the BCMC. You’re invited. Anyways, I’m looking forward to getting this book out there and hearing what you think of it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 25, 2021 7:21 am 
Thanks. Looking forward to the day we are permitted to go back up there.

StephenHui
Hiker

StephenHui
Hiker
PostSun Apr 25, 2021 4:10 pm 
Believe me, many of us up here can't wait to be able to hike in Washington and Oregon again!

dixon

dixon
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 2:42 pm 
Congrats on the book Stephen looks great! I'm interested what draws you to the hikes in WA state coming from BC? I personally find the landscape much more remote and interesting in BC and much less people out on the trails although I did hear that the Sea to Sky is incredibly crowded post pandemic, although things aren't much better this side.

StephenHui
Hiker

StephenHui
Hiker
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:45 pm 
Thanks dixon! I think the big draw is the sheer spectacularness of the North Cascades on the Washington side. Your trails are superbly maintained, and you don't have to hike as far to get to postcard scenery. Another thing, for me, is proximity. Some of the hikes in Bellingham and Baker are actually closer to the Vancouver area than other comparable destinations northward. Plus, it adds variety! We love those Washington hikes up here.

dixon

dixon
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 10:45 pm 
Great points Stephen, definitely agree with you on the North Cascades and not having to hike as far in for the scenery! I look forward to buying your book and checking out those places you have documented! Fingers crossed that the border opens soon and we can once again explore each others countries smile.gif All the best and congrats again on the launch of your book! p.s. I saw this article recently, great news for BC Parks! https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/local-news/province-announces-infusion-of-funding-for-bc-parks-3658260