Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > amtrak derailed
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Sep 25, 2021 5:56 pm 
the empire builder has derailed near joplin montana within the last couple of hours...no reports as yet but it is being posted on twitter....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Sep 25, 2021 8:02 pm 
Dang, I hope it's not super-serious. I've travelled home on the Empire Builder twice in the last few years. It's a GREAT ride, especially with a "roomette".

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 26, 2021 5:32 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Dang, I hope it's not super-serious. I've travelled home on the Empire Builder twice in the last few years. It's a GREAT ride, especially with a "roomette".
Well, as it turns out, it is serious. 3 lives lost, and many injured: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58696143 I've ridden that train many times, and how it derailed there is a mystery to me. The landscape there is completely flat with wide sweeping curves. If I had to offer an opinion, I'd say that whichever company that owns the track has neglected their maintenance duties. It happened here many years ago when a freight derailed, spilling ~200,000 gallons of liquid ammonium nitrate into town. It was eventually determined that the track owner was negligent in the maintenance of the track, and if I recall correctly, it was caused by a bad section of track being replaced by a 10" piece of track instead of replacing the entire section. I've been cogitating on whether to take Amtrak or drive on our next trip out, so I see that the decision has been made. Sad business, indeed.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Sep 26, 2021 6:59 am 
regular rail service ended a long time ago and there is a movement on to reastablish that service.google if you need more info.. https://www.montanarightnow.com/regional/ntsb-amtrak-expected-on-scene-at-fatal-derailment/article_6852dbda-1e55-11ec-ad56-6b71e00a2c36.html

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Sep 28, 2021 6:02 pm 
I went through there on Friday. I drove on highway 2 to Wisconsin and then after a few days there, returned the same way. I noticed a lot of BNSF pickups in that area and quite a few of their workers would be parked, or standing near the tracks. I was thinking that those tracks must be in pretty good shape, but now wonder. What is scary is that some pretty long oil trains use that route. What a mess that would be. Hope they get things sorted out but too bad folks were killed and injured.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities