Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Project 282 - All of Scotland’s Munros in one
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Apr 29, 2021 10:10 pm 
(sorry if this has been posted before) A good 10 minute video - about Emily Scott’s summit of all the Scottish Munros (a Munro is any summit over 3000’ - there are 282). She did this in 2018. 120 days, continuous, self-propelled and self-supported. 2200 km of hiking, 2600 km on a bike and 195,000 meters of ascent. That figures out to a daily 11 mile hike and 15 mile mtn bike - gaining 5300’ every day for 4 months. https://vimeo.com/528767105 The film has earned some awards already. Family and friends in Scotland tell me the outdoors there is going through the same pandemic related over-use/abuse as in the US.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Apr 30, 2021 10:26 am 
that is a cool story! Well done in the video making.

Art is an adventure.
mike

mike
PostFri Apr 30, 2021 11:34 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Family and friends in Scotland tell me the outdoors there is going through the same pandemic related over-use/abuse as in the US.
On our last trip just before the lockdown we noticed a huge increase 5x in the number of visitors from the trip 5 years previous. In the meantime the tourist board had begun touting the "North Coast 500", a made up route circling the Highlands. It was packed with campervans, motorcycles, bicycles, packs of sports cars, RV's and caravans (and people like us in rental cars) Luckily we had reservations as many people were forced to sleep wild or in their cars. Many evenings we would see a steady stream of people being turned away. Fortunately one could just take a side road for peace and quiet. Kinda like getting off I90. I'm afraid that as soon as Scotland starts allowing travel it's going to be nuts.