Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cashmere Canyons Reserve
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed May 12, 2021 9:59 am 
The Chelan-Douglas County Land Trust has been at it again. The low mountains that rise north of Highway 2 between Leavenworth and Wenatchee, part of the Entiat Range, are simply sublime in the spring bloom. Carpets of bright flowers and stunning panoramas of the Stuart Range. It used to be that I had to bushwhack to these places, but now there is pretty much a trail on all of them. Most were built by mountain bikers with all that entails (zoning out is dangerous!), but some are motorcycle and some were built just for hikers. This one is the latter. The Land Trust worked out a deal with private landowners to open part of a 2,000+ acre reserve east of Cashmere to the public under a conservation easement. There is now a big parking lot, privy, and signboard to welcome you to "Cashmere Canyons," as long as you don't plan on using your bike or bringing your dog (they seem to be pretty serious about the no-dogs policy, you have been warned.) The trailhead is three miles up the Nahahum Canyon road out of Cashmere. The signboard describes a rare plant in the reserve:
Signboard in the parking lot
Signboard in the parking lot
...so of course we had to look for it, and of course it was my wife Lynn who found it:
Delphinium xantholeucum
Delphinium xantholeucum
The hike begins on a closed ranch road in shrub-steppe that has been grazed to oblivion, with an impressive collection of alien weedy grasses. Balsamroot, the flowers spent by this time, pokes through but not much else. As you get higher up the road, the vegetation consistently improves until there is little evidence of grazing damage at the top. About a half mile in, we spotted a happy population of Lazuli Bunting in this thicket (no bird images, sorry, I have the wrong camera for that).
Where the Lazuli Buntings play
Where the Lazuli Buntings play
The road continues up at a perfect grade for old bones, through ever-improving scenery.
Serene
Serene
Portrait of a Lupine
Portrait of a Lupine
Near the ridgeline, there was a spectacular display of Phlox speciosus and balsamroot.
Springtime, and the living is easy
Springtime, and the living is easy
The main road/trail from the parking lot reaches a junction at a saddle. Both options from here lead to very scenic loops along the ridge. The panorama did not disappoint.
Lupines galore
Lupines galore
Crag views
Crag views
The balsamroot are still perfect up top, but don't wait!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Now I Fly, Lindsay
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed May 12, 2021 11:17 am 
Thank you for this review! Does the grade stay good for old bones the whole way? Did you see/hear any rattlesnakes?

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed May 12, 2021 8:05 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
Does the grade stay good for old bones the whole way? Did you see/hear any rattlesnakes?
The grade is mellow to the crossroads at the ridgetop saddle. From there it is an easy grade if you take two lefts and round the ridge for the view. This is definitely a good place for folks with dexterity limitations. Rattlers are unlikely in this terrain in my experience, I find them more in riparian areas. There are snakes though... As Lynn and I were taking images of the rare but boring delphinium, a kid hiking out with his siblings and mom asked "what are you doing?" So we told him about the flower. He - and his mom - told us that they found something really interesting. They saw a big rattler with a smaller, rubber snake wrapped around its neck, strangling it. Wait, what? First they noticed the rattler had no rattle, mom realized it was only a bull snake. Then they looked closer, and the rubber snake moved. The bull snake made its escape! They had no idea what was going on. I explained to them that there really is a native boa constrictor called the "rubber boa," and yes it is this weirdly shaped little greenish brownish rubbery thing. Wow! eek.gif What an experience of a lifetime! Wish I had seen that.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Now I Fly