Forum Index > Trip Reports > White River to Sunrise/Burroughs/Glacier Basin Trail 6/2/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gymcarrey

gymcarrey
PostWed Jun 02, 2021 8:43 pm 
The road to White River Campground is open. I had seen a trip report from Stuke Sowle from July '20 that connects the campground up to the Wonderland trail, past Shadow Lake and heads up to the 1st and 2nd Burroughs, drops down to the Glacier Basin Trail and then loops back to the campground. I wasn't sure it would work out since it's only June and we got a good amount of snow lingering in the mountains this year. I'd been to all the Burroughs a couple years back and remember it having great views and a mellow grade. Got on the trail around 5:15 am. About halfway up to Sunrise from the camp, the trail becomes fully snow covered. Snow is consolidated with some boot paths. Got to the waterfall that's just over 5800'. I couldn't remember what it looked like without snow but the water was running pretty heavily under the snow. Even though there were previous steps going across it I just wasn't feeling it. So we opted to head straight up in the snow and shwhacked a little bit on the steeper parts. It would be a more direct route to the Wonderland trail anyway and it only looked really steep for about 100 feet or so. It also motivated me to finish the loop. wink.gif Met up with the wonderland trail and headed towards Shadow Lake and the Sunrise camp. Everything is pretty much fully covered in snow including the lake which is still frozen. Toilet is snow free and I believe accessible. Headed up to the first viewpoint. I decided to avoid the slope traverse and climbed up to the ridgeline. If you get north enough around the trees it is open and easy to see the hill going up to the first burroughs. Easy kick steps up to the first burroughs. Snow was awesome all day. Soft enough to make nice kick steps but solid enough for grip. A few post holes here and there but that's pretty much a given this time of year. Headed to the second burroughs and after taking too many photos we headed down towards Glacier Basin. Pretty steep slope. Ice axes and spikes were especially handy here. After plunge-stepping, slowly making our way down the hill and getting to a slightly less intimidating slope we opted to just glissade down.. Well more like a slow slide since I didn't want to lose control. Went down about 200 feet and then followed a GPS track in the general direction of the trail. After a bit of weaving around tree wells we found our way to the Glacier Basin Trail which is well worn from all the activity in that area. Walk out was lovely and made me feel grateful. Finished the hike just after noon, with many stops to enjoy the views. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ziUsczNZFBi8SpHw6

reststep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 6:21 am 
This is a cool idea for a loop and a good time of year to do it. I am betting you didn't see any of the usual sunrise crowds along the way either. biggrin.gif Thank you for sharing!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 8:35 pm 
There is a XC route from skyscraper pass directly to 3rd Burroughs but do not know if it legal anymore. Best early season otherwise miserable talus. Did it solo once under perfect conditions.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

gymcarrey