Forum Index > Trip Reports > 10 peaks UT/CO/AZ, May 25-June 2, 2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 3:26 pm 
May 25 Scrub Benchmark - 6786' To escape the heat in Vegas, I went for a road trip. The first peak near Saint George was a road walk. Near the summit I got a text from John Stolk. He was going to be coming into the area with some friends and wanted to know if I could join. I redirected to meet them for a few days before returning to my own agenda.
5-26 Mount Dutton - 11,041' I've done a number of peaks with Grant Myers before, but this was my first time meeting Andrew Strand and Agnes Telling. Overall it was a great bunch of peakbaggers and I was fortunate to join them. We drove two vehicles near the top of Dutton despite some snow patches on the road.
5-27 Mount Ellsworth - 8235' Years ago, I did the two highest of the Henry Mountains with Greg Slayden, but I've been wanting to come back for the other 3 main peaks. John and Grant and I started with one that looked easier, while Andy and Aggie took a rest day. Ellsworth is not easy. There is plenty of steep loose terrain on the standard route. We got our Ellsworth, and then some.
5-28 Mount Holmes - 7998' Grant and I went to try the north ridge of Holmes while everyone else took a break. This is an intimidating looking peak. The lower half is on sandstone slabs which is pretty fun. Grant found a dinosaur track and having seen several official ones previously, I can confirm that it was one.
Half way op the ridge, its necessary to traverse some steep loose junk to avoid technical crags on the crest of the ridge. Careful footing and good route-finding is needed. Minor scrambling with heavy exposure at the summit. Like Ellsworth, the summit has killer views of Lake Powell. It was 90 degrees in the valley, while we did our last mile. There's no place like Holmes.
Holmes and Ellsworth
Holmes and Ellsworth
5-29 Mount Hillers - 10,737' Northwest ridge. Starting from the saddle we followed an old road through the brush. This would be a bad peak without the road. Plenty of horned lizards along the road. The ridge is steep and gets down to business. Burned trees galore. The last 100 yards to the summit is ascetic and enjoyable.
Grant, Andy, Aggie, John, gimp
Grant, Andy, Aggie, John, gimp
5-30 Abajo Peak - 11,360' After farewells to the group, I drove almost to the summit but had to walk a little on deep snow.
5-31 Mount Peale - 12,721' Originally, I had planned a 3 peak loop, but thunderstorms were forecasted, so I clipped my itinerary down to the main peak and started early. The ascent gully had some very icy snow and I was glad to have brought an ax and crampons. First ultra of the year and #102 overall.
6-1 Ute Peak - 9979' Starting at the dry ice facility, I walked an old road and then followed horse trails to the north ridge. The going is good until about 7800 feet and then brush is a hassle. Between 8400 feet and 8600 feet, the ridge is narrow and most of the way it's better on the north side. Be careful on the dinner-plate talus or you might get served. Can't see much from the summit, but Ship Rock is visible. I saw a fox near Ute Spring and also 5 of wild horses. The cicadas were making their mating noise in the late morning sun. Several flew clumsily and hit me in the face. This hike took 6 hours.
Crotaphytus collaris
Crotaphytus collaris
6-2 Roof Butte - 9800' Drove to near the summit. Very rough road. An even better view of Ship Rock on this summit, but the best view of it is from the drive in which takes you right by it.
Ship Rock
Ship Rock
Pastora Peak - 9407' The road to Pastora is notorious. In the AZ P2k circles it's whispered about with a sense of loathing and dread. Often the mud is impassable. Very similar to an acquired taste for bad bushwhacking, my mentality around rough roads has been corrupted. It's gotten to the point where I appreciate the challenge. It's like that puzzle you hate, but you can't stop working it. I stopped where a Subaru can absolutely go no further. If you also drive a Subaru, better stop at the switchback at 7560 feet. Conveniently, there's also good camping there.
The 13 mile hike was on the road except the last 0.1 mile and took me about 4.5 hours.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Jun 04, 2021 6:58 am 
Look over there - dry ice factory! Good place to get some thinking done.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 am 
You keep racking them up Adam, nice work! What, no picture of the dinosaur track?! You're always finding cool stuff in the desert. up.gif

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Jun 12, 2021 3:38 pm 
Thanks Aaron. With the way three lighting was, it wouldn't have shown well in a photo. You need to see the 3D aspect to appreciate it.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Jun 12, 2021 8:09 pm 
Nice that you were able to rearrange your plans to hike with some northwest buddies.

Eric Eames
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Sep 01, 2021 12:55 pm 
That's a lot of puns for one post buddy! Good stuff and thanks for the trip report. up.gif