Forum Index > Trip Reports > Silver Moon ~ 6-2-21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 3:42 pm 
Dave, Riley and I got Silver Moon yesterday. Its kind of a tricky peak! The guys were nice enough to pick me up at my new place in Burlington and we were headed east on 20 shortly after 4am and hiking up Cedar Creek just after 6:30. The lower Cedar Creek trail has been logged out this spring, so progress was good. The air was already hot. We made good time until about 4 miles in, when the trail goes through an aspen grove. There were some impressively large bear tracks shortly thereafter.
Aspens
Aspens
big bear
big bear
Roughly 5 miles in, we arrived at the unnamed creek that drains Lake 7141, and turned uphill. Travel was initially open forest, then a long talus slope, then steep open forest until the grade moderates around 5600 ft. We continued up the right side of the drainage through pleasant terrain until 6800 ft where we switched to boots and had a water break.
the only cairn we saw on route
the only cairn we saw on route
sloggin
sloggin
Silver Moon first look
Silver Moon first look
It was very hot in the sun as we crossed Lake 7141. From there, it was 1000 feet to the summit. We followed Matt Burton's beta and took the obvious gully with an exit onto a ledge 3/4 of the way up. Dave had a Herculean day, and kicked steps all the way up from the lake.
a little closer
a little closer
the guys
the guys
Dave kicking steps
Dave kicking steps
the ledge
the ledge
Above the ledge was where it got spicy. Rotten snow, often shallow over rocks and above cliffy terrain gave Riley and I pause. This was followed by airy 4th class scrambling up wet and lichen covered slabs. Dave lead through here fearlessly and assured us that things got better higher up. I was thankful for that. The terrain did eventually ease and we were right below the summit. The "crux" slab down-climb seemed easy compared to what we had just gone through. A fun knife edge ridge with a few airy 4th class moves and Silver Moon Glory was had by all.
softening snow above the ledge
softening snow above the ledge
bad picture of Riley contending with some wet slabs
bad picture of Riley contending with some wet slabs
Riley approaching crux slab and knife edge
Riley approaching crux slab and knife edge
Dave on the summit
Dave on the summit
summitshot
summitshot
North Cascades
North Cascades
Burgundy Spire, Tower, McMillan, Golden Horn, Fury, Challenger, Luna, Holliway, and some Canadian peaks
Burgundy Spire, Tower, McMillan, Golden Horn, Fury, Challenger, Luna, Holliway, and some Canadian peaks
We didnt hang long on the summit, eager to get off the thing before the snow softened any more. The "crux" slab was easier on the way back up. Then we scrambled around the south side of the ridge and found our way to the top of the gully that we exited early on our ascent. One short rappel to get down a section of rotten snow over a moat, and smooth sailing from there back to the car.
Dave coming back up the slab
Dave coming back up the slab
a raging Cedar Falls
a raging Cedar Falls
Back at the car at about 5:15. Fun (although hot) day in the hills! ~15 miles ~5300 ft of gain ~10:42 car to car

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 4:23 pm 
Congratulations on your successful endeavor. It is a Top 200 peak and a worthy objective.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 4:49 pm 
Oh nice dood!! eek.gif been eyeing this one for a while now, thanks for the beta I'd always wondered about the crux slab!! Thanks for the TR! rocker.gif Oh and Dave's beard is on point! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin