Forum Index > Partners > Old slow retired fart looking for available backpacker partner.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 am 
Based in Snohomish, experienced, love Mountain Loop, GP area. Need to hike with buddy, all my friends are too old or broken down or busy to get away for a long weekend. Not looking for soulmate, wifey would not want me to hike with anybody other than a male anyway. Like to get to a spot to basecamp and spend a couple of days really checking out an area. I have all the gear and a truck, all I need is a like minded partner. BTW I own firearms, never hike with one except during elk season. I'm okay with you being armed, but would rather carry better food.

illegitimi non carborundum!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 6:46 pm 
So was it my breath? Did I alienate folks with the wifey comment? My guess is the mention of firearms. In any case 112 people looked at my post and nobody liked what they saw. I'm still looking for someone to hike with. I'm really not that slow. Peace

illegitimi non carborundum!
neek

neek
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 9:50 am 
I don't think you said anything remotely offensive. It's just hard to find partners via this particular channel, and you specified several constraints that significantly reduce the already-small pool. I have not had much luck either. You may want to post a specific proposal ("anyone want to explore the area around Lake Whatever this weekend?") or reach out in private to people who post interesting trip reports.

Damian

Damian
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 6:11 pm 
Keep at it Mitch. You seem like an excellent hiking partner.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 7:26 pm 
Damian wrote:
Keep at it Mitch. You seem like an excellent hiking partner.
That's what I was thinking....but I don't live anywhere near.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 7:42 pm 
I would hike with you out on the Loop but have to head back to Idaho very soon. PM when I return although not sure when that will be.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 8:48 pm 
Over here on the eastside (Winthrop/Twisp), we formed an Old Guys Hiking Club (OGHC http://www.pasayten.com/oghc/ ) We do have one suggested requirement in that you also pack a lightweight chair... lol

Happy Trails... pasayten
gwc2u

gwc2u
PostSun Sep 13, 2020 4:56 pm 
Just discovered this forum & excited to frequent it often. Thought for a moment your post was something I had sent in & forgotten I had.....age related? Anyway, my current interest is more toward day hiking but as you said past friends aren't reliable and am finding my wife seems to voice something wrong with any destination suggested........ to long a drive, too steep, rough or long a trail etc. Would love to contemplate returning to backpacking as you seem interested in but it's been a couple of years & the day hiking seems to be getting maxed out at 10 miles RT at maybe a 3000' elevation gain. Sad to have to admit that & keep hoping to regain some past stamina. I'm in good health & not overweight but every week/mth. seems to uncover a joint or muscle that's unhappy. It's also harder to get motivated without an incentive. So mostly wanted to let you know your post was well done & your situation I think is pretty typical of a lot of us. I see there is an email feature on this site so I may contact to see if you may have any interested in some day hiking ......... compatible enough for future backpacking.

jshannon13

jshannon13
PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:18 am 
Hey Mitch, a year late, but if you're still out there I'm up to go. How do you feel about glacier travel? Setting up camp and checking out the place with a day pack is what I do, usually after a long approach. If your knees are still up to the task of the steep climbers paths through the forest of the N. Cascades give me a shout. Looking for somebody to join me across the Neve glacier to Snowfield Peak in Newhalem (shows as Ladder Creek glacier on satellite). I assume you cross where the Neve/Ladder Creek join together. Many side trips once above treeline, you have Colonial Peak, you have the small knob of Neve Peak, can head over to Paul Bunyuns Stump side to get a good look at the snout of the Ladder Creek glacier. It's not technical, but your joints would take a beating. Exception being a gully just before final summit block of Snowfield, 60' deep and looks pretty vertical. Options being, going around, a 60' rappel I'm not experienced in myself quite yet, some do down climb it, said to be a spot that's somewhat of a steep staircase. Then there's the option of enjoying where you've gotten and turning around. Either way, it's good stuff, let me know if you're interested.